Ah... Apple Aroma.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Paulywalnut

Minister of Fire
Nov 29, 2012
Kennett Square, PA
Have a third of a cord of apple. I split it this weekend and noticed a very pungent aroma.
I never had any apple, other fruits but not apple. Almost a manure smell. Thought it would have a sweeter smell. You guys ever notice this? Definitely apple. Green apples still on a few branches.

Reactions: ScotO
Yep.

Won't hurt the steaks you cook over top of it any though :)

Reactions: ScotO
Systemic infections like Fireblight will cause a funky smell. I cannot say that is your situation, though. But on the other side of the spectrum I've smelled fresh apple splits that smelled just like sweet cherries.
The most fragrant wood Ive smelled was flowering crabapple. I cannot describe the aroma. The ones with the dark burgundy flowers. The wood is unbelievably strong and streaked with purple in the heartwood.

Try cutting some thorn apple sometimes. Nasty stuff.

Love crabapple jelly. Good to know about the crabapple wood. That'll make it a bit easier to cut a crabapple that is near the end of its useful life. If one is able to make salad bowls, coasters, cutting board, etc, and enjoy them, its a little easier to lose the tree. Just planted a second one this year. All the apples, including the crabapple, were just loaded with flowers this year,

Reactions: Backwoods Savage
Never noticed much of a smell at all when not burning. Smells great burning.

Never noticed much of a smell at all when not burning. Smells great burning.
Yeah Luke, definite smell when splitting. Its not offensive, I mean I love the red oak smell.:)

Thanks Dennis. Is thorn apple an edible type or crab apple type.?

The thorn apples we have just have the really small red apples; about the size of a grape at most. Exception are 3 that give apples more like a crab apple. Those do not seem to bear every year but mostly every other year.

Reactions: Paulywalnut
The thorn apples we have just have the really small red apples; about the size of a grape at most. Exception are 3 that give apples more like a crab apple. Those do not seem to bear every year but mostly every other year.
Thanks. These apples are maybe egg size. I'm sure it will be good firewood in a few years:).

Reactions: Backwoods Savage
I have lots of apple in it's own, separate stack......I use it exclusively for cooking anymore, and for making the occasional tool handle on the lathe.

When turning a chunk of that dried out applewood on the lathe, I notice a slight smell.....it's hard to describe....but it doesn't bother me..

IMO, applewood smells heavenly when burning......or should I say smoldering.....on the firepit under some chicken, steaks, or brats.....

Status
Not open for further replies.