Ahhh, we have heat again!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

moralleper

Aug 24, 2006
Kalama, WA
Ahhh, we have heat again!!!!!!!!!!!! I installed my new Quad Santafe today, only took a couple of hours since I of course was 4 inches short.

Attachments

• IMG_2056.JPG
    IMG_2056.JPG
    27 KB · Views: 713
  • IMG_2055.JPG
    IMG_2055.JPG
    42.3 KB · Views: 643
Cold nights and a baby coming are powerful motivators. The stove looks great. Congrats!

Nice!

Hope it keeps you and yours warm for many winters to come.

Hey that looks like mine! Nice looking job! Quick

Looks great! Fire that baby up and get toasty.

Hate to be a wet blanket, but I see a possible issue or two... It looks great at floor level, but seems like you have some awfully strange bends at the thimble! Why such a complex knot up there when you could perhaps have gone up at a slight angle from the stove and had fewer tight bends up above?

It could just be the photo, but it looks to me like the pipe goes up close to the wall, then comes away from the wall in order to make the turn into the thimble? If so, are you sure the vertical part of the pipe has enough clearance?

We do care about your safety, and IMHO it is more important to have a SAFE install than a pretty one.

Everything else looks great.

Gooserider

yes there are 2 45s and one 90 in the top. this is because the thimble off center. Original install was done by a stove shop and pass local inspection. my install just extended the pipe straight down and extra 4 inches. the clearences from the pipe to the closest point, the small shelf is 4 inchs. the wall is more just over 6.

moralleper said:
yes there are 2 45s and one 90 in the top. this is because the thimble off center. Original install was done by a stove shop and pass local inspection. my install just extended the pipe straight down and extra 4 inches. the clearences from the pipe to the closest point, the small shelf is 4 inchs. the wall is more just over 6.

Dumb question on my end, is this wood or pellets? I'm not sure about pellets, but for cord wood that seems like WAY closer clearance than it should be, especially if you aren't using any sort of heat shielding (which I'm not seeing in the photos) Elk gets upset at me when I say this, but I don't place great faith in local shops or local inspectors - it seems there are enough tales of local inspectors not doing a very thorough job that I'm not that surprised when they don't get it right. Have YOU checked the clearances listed in your manual? Some setups it can be hard to tell what is needed, but yours should be pretty easy to tell, as you aren't doing anything that strange.

Gooserider

It's a pellet stove, guess I should have said that up front. the min. clearance for the pipe is 3 inches from combustables according to the manual. as for length, using the calcs in the manual I have 21.5 feet of pipe, this accounts for the 45s, 90s , vertical and a 1 foot section of horizontal. so at my elevation that means 3inch double walled duravent is just fine. thanks for the concern though, better save the sorry. When I had a woodstove there a few years back the clearance was 18inchs from the wall.

It looks like pellet to me.
The beauty of pellets is that the clearance to combustibles in next to nothin'....
As far as your faith...... That's another reason you are here, correct? And I'm sure alot of people read this forum to be a more educated consumer, so that if an installer does something improperly the homeowner can lean on people like Elk and the other experts to call these guys out and get a safe install.
I'm sure half the people here have a code violation on thier installs, but let's keep the education going, I'm sure after visiting this forum, there's several people looking behind the inserts...... looking to see if they have insulation shoved in as a blockoff plate.

moralleper said:
It's a pellet stove, guess I should have said that up front. the min. clearance for the pipe is 3 inches from combustables according to the manual. as for length, using the calcs in the manual I have 21.5 feet of pipe, this accounts for the 45s, 90s , vertical and a 1 foot section of horizontal. so at my elevation that means 3inch double walled duravent is just fine. thanks for the concern though, better save the sorry. When I had a woodstove there a few years back the clearance was 18inchs from the wall.

OK then, sounds like the situation is OK... I wasn't sure from the pictures so I thought I should ask. Glad all is well.

Gooserider

yep , type L pellet vent usually requires 3" minimum clearance , simpson duravent does , we use them ourselves. the little "chicane" at the top to me looks like it will not be an issue for performance. pellet vent is essentially a double wall stainless steel inner, with insulation between the walls , pellet stove exhaust is not allowed higher than 500 degrees plus ambient when the unit is certified , this means that the outer skin is relatively cooler than woodstove pipe. you can actually touch it in most cases but you would not be able to linger against it for along period. im thinking that skin temps will not be above 200 degrees , probably lower than that. i just walked out to mine (wanted a beer anyway)which is running at about 1/3 speed (3 of 9 on heat range). grabbed the pipe and held on to it for about 5 seconds, no real discomfort at all. the wall is 4.5 inches from skin of pipe and is no warmer behind the pipe than it is a foot away from it. pellet stoves in general benefit in having closer clearances than wood burning units simply because the design of the unit where the firebox is in the front of the unit and the hopper and electronics are in the back , this creates a big buffer from the back of the firewall to the wall surface behind the unit. allowing closer clearances without having to shield the wall surface. and the lower skin temps of the pellet vent pipe allow closer clearances as well

Thanks for the explanation Mike, I knew pellets allowed closer clearances, didn't know all the details on why... The OP hadn't initially said it was pellet, and I wasn't sure - model numbers don't mean all that much if you aren't dealing with them every day to recognize what's what. :-S

I saw the cord, which suggested it might have been pellet, but might also have been cordwood with a blower, and the pipe looked cordwood sized, so I thought I should ask. At any rate I'm glad that it's a safe install, far better to get it right than to have a problem and make us sic the Elk-man on them! :lol:

Gooserider

Status
Not open for further replies.