Ain't mis-behavin', but !!!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

scotsman

Feeling the Heat
Hearth Supporter
Aug 6, 2008
West Texas
After some fits and starts (kinda like learning to drive a standard shift!), the PH has decided to settle down and operate like it should. I always KNEW it could do better than it did, but it just took some convincin'! We've had three nights in a row with lows below 20 F and today in the "hotest" part of the day, it's only 34, SO last night I loaded the PH 1/2 full of two thousand year old cedar with 1/2 dry, oak pallet pieces (26" X 4" x 2') on top of that, lit 'er up, got it goin', cut the cat on at 300 degrees, cut the air to right next to nothin' and set my damper to 1/2 closed. Stayed up with it for 1/2 an hour to make sure it didn't act up (i.e. splode!) and then hit the rack. The fire commenced at 1930. This mornin' at 0800, we still had lots of coals and tossed in four oak boards of the above dimensions. Ran without a hitch and we were still at 74 at 0800, BUT the stove top temp will still not get above 400-425! Does this temp need to be higher? If it does, I cannot figure out how to get it there and would appreciate suggestions. (Tony, no wisecracks about blowin' it up! :mad: --I can do that on my own, thank you very much!) :lol:

So far, this stove seems to put out about twice the heat as the FV. Haven't measured anything, but I've been running around in jean shorts and a short-sleeved, summer type T-shirt all day. That would not have happened with the FV. So, I don't know what WS did, but it isn't a function of firebox size increase, 'cause that's only 1/2 cubic foot, but even Lynda commented on the extra heat. Places in our room that we could not sit under the same circumstances with the FV, near the patio doors, we can now sit in comfort. So, it's quite a bit more heat.

Nothing technical, but we are much more pleased with this stove. JM2cents!

Does giving it more air get the temps higher? If the stove top isn't as hot as you'd like I would try letting some more air into it.

If your house is 74 when you loaded it, why the heck would you want a higher stove top temp?

More air and more wood would get you higher temps, but it sounds like you don't need them.

pen

pen said:
If your house is 74 when you loaded it, why the heck would you want a higher stove top temp?

More air and more wood would get you higher temps, but it sounds like you don't need them.

pen

Not seeking higher temps for heating the house. Trying to get 'em for baking purposes. Baking requires high OVEN temps, which means higher stove top temps than 300-450. Experimenting more than anything else. Now if it should get REALLY cold, we might want those temps!

Can't woof me. At 74 Linda was still dressed. :coolsmirk:

BrotherBart said:
Can't woof me. At 74 Linda was still dressed. :coolsmirk:

Can't fool Bart!!!

:) Actually that element is part of the plan, but, in an emergency, one to be considered only after the facility is secure, ifyouknowwhatImean! She has seen fit to adopt a more spring-like wardrobe in these temps, which has caused some ignoring of the PH from time to time!

BTW, We are anticipating a snow event beginning tonight and lasting through Monday morning. Lows tonight around 10 here--16 in town for the next couple of nights.

We have snow squalls with 25 MPH winds gusting to 45-50 at the moment. Kinda reminds me of Lubbock. Headed to 15 or so tonight.

Stove didn't come down fast enough from the afternoon load so I am waiting up for the reload. Groan.

BrotherBart said:
We have snow squalls with 25 MPH winds gusting to 45-50 at the moment. Kinda reminds me of Lubbock. Headed to 15 or so tonight.

Stove didn't come down fast enough from the afternoon load so I am waiting up for the reload. Groan.

You're welcome, Bart--that's the last system we had through here. Thought I'd send it on. :smirk:

Terry, I plowed snow yesterday for only the third time this winter. You can keep the rest of it down there, thank you.

Backwoods Savage said:
Terry, I plowed snow yesterday for only the third time this winter. You can keep the rest of it down there, thank you.

At 1640, it is 22 and heavy snow--visibility about 50 feet, wind out of the south at 25-40. So far we have about 5 inches. The snow is coming in from the SW, radar shows it lined up to way past Hobbs, which is about 120 miles SW of here, so we have several hours of this yet to go. The NWS is calling for it to taper off tomorrow about 0600. We had a tough time getting TO church and an even tougher time getting home, but we are safely here. So, we ARE keepin' it! You're welcome. :lol:

The PH is going good. I've got about an 8" depth of orange-hot coals in the stove that I've just opened up the air on and now it's working toward whatever comes after orange-hot!! That thing is cranking out good heat. Temp was at 11 above this morning when I got up to get ready for church. It was 78 in the big room. Put a few pieces on to get it back above cat temp, set the cat and off to church. Came home and it was NICE--about 75!

Decided to stoke it up and get it crankin'. Then went up in the attic to see just how hot the flue pipe was getting. All this continuous burning started me wondering in church this morning, so I could hardly wait to get home and check it out. We HAD a double wall: 8" inside about 14" diameter outer pipe. Inside that we put an insulated 6" SS liner. The outer pipe would get way too hot to touch just from the ZC fireplace so I was a little apprehensive to check the pipe with the way higher temps of the PH. Finally got up there and took my glove off to touch the pipe like I expected it to be hot--it was as cold as ice! And was I glad! Top temp on stove was 450 F; flue pipe in attic was somewhere around 25 F! I was really happy about that. So I guess that SS liner and insulation does its job! :)

I'm ready for it to keep snowin' !! Let 'er rip! We are desperate for moisture--unfortunately snow doesn't give us much.

Y'all stay warm up there!

With that much snow and more coming I would have hit Pinkie's or Doc's out on the Tahoka highway going home. Pinkies for a stack of hot links to go with the social lubricant.

BrotherBart said:
With that much snow and more coming I would have hit Pinkie's or Doc's out on the Tahoka highway going home. Pinkies for a stack of hot links to go with the social lubricant.

I'm sorry to report that Pinkie's and Doc's on the strip are no more! Lubbock voted to go wet and The Strip is nothing more than a mile or so of empty buildings, or will soon be. There are some small liquor concerns still out there, but the majority have closed. Now IF The Strip was still there, you would have a heck of a time getting there with all the snow. The one saving grace is that most all our roads are very near flat, HOWEVER, flat roads do NOT make up for the stupid drivers! Both would have been major problems for a trip to The Strip today.

Sorry to have to break it to you, Bart, but The "Old" Strip isn't!

BTW, the snow seems to have stopped. Looks like we've got about 6" and the stove is cookin' pretty well.

I am in serious mourning. :-S

Status
Not open for further replies.