Air flow question, new vermont encore flex

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

fdnyfirecracker

Nov 2, 2014
Long Island, NY
I swear this stove is driving me nuts. With the damper open and air up my fire barely maintains. The only way I get enough air is to open the ash pan. So I open it with in min my flue temp is near 800.so I shut down the damper flu temp drops but my stove temp won't go above 200..
I had a good bed of coals from the overnight. Rake all the ash out placed in 3 large logs and I can't get the fire going without opening damper and theash bin. I know the air control is working I can physical see the shutter open and close. What am I doing wrong!
I also can't get my stove to go above 200 and my flue temp below 400. Which am I going off of to know my cat is working.

Last edited:
You need to re-think your operation. Once you're down to coals, you can't just throw "3 Large Logs" on them & expect the fire to take off. Rake the coals towards the front of the stove & place some small pieces in there fifst. Even as small as your fingers. Then throw some slightly bigger stuff in there. Maybe the size of your forearms. Once that takes off, THEN you can add your LARGER wood. They should be split & dried too. Don't just throw 16" long log sections in there...

Sounds like this may be poorly seasoned wood. If so, the stove is doing all it can to burn it. Try some store bought wood for comparison.

Status
Not open for further replies.