Air intake Jotul Nordic

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

fishingpol

Minister of Fire
Jul 13, 2010
Merrimack Valley, MA
Long time lurker, new to forum. Been burning about 9 years on weekends and evenings. Last fall I picked up a Jotul Nordic on C/L locally. It is a clean stove found no issues with it. I am cleaning it out today and I see an adjustable plate on the underside of the stove right rear. I knew it was there by looking at the exploded view in the manual. When I removed the inside bottom grate, there is a small "port" in the cast corresponding to the plate. Can I assume that this is the secondary air intake? This port was completely covered by the plate. It moves in a semi-circular motion Now, being curious, I took the plate out to see what it is all about. Does anyone familiar with this stove adjust it as you burn? Is this a factory set device? The plate has a little notch that a fire poker could easily let into it to adjust it. There is nothing mentioned in the manual if this can or should be used? Judging by the looks of it, it has always been closed, but there seems to be a definite purpose. Thanks in advance for any opinions.

Jon

Greetings Jon. Sounds like a secondary air control. It's listed in the parts diagram as Valve/Coverplate. BrotherBart should be here shortly and may have more insight. He has an F100.

I have never messed with the plate. The secondary air comes in down there and is pre-heated by the bottom of the firebox and then goes up to the manifold in the back of the firebox. Since the secondaries work just fine I haven't given any thought to adjusting it.

Interesting. In the European manual this second vent is called the "ignition vent". It appears to be used for starting the fire:

Initial lighting
1. Open the vents completely.
2. Place two medium sized logs in the fireplace, one on each
side of the base.
3. Crumple some newspaper (or birch bark) between these and
add some kindling wood in a criss-cross pattern on top.
4. Add coal on the top, and light the newspaper.
5. Leave the door slightly open until the kindling wood catch fire.
6. Close the door once the fire is stable and slowly reduce the
air vent opening to reduce the burn rate. (Use a glove, for
example, when the handle is warm.)
7. When the logs have burned down to embers, the coal is to
be added.
8. Then regulate the rate of combustion to the desired level of
heating by adjusting the ash door air vent.

If you look at the parts diagram, you will see a linkage and tool (71/72) that appear to be for adjusting this ashpan door air? BB have you investigated this with your F100?

guessing= adjust it for minimal air intake & then adjust more air intake so to judge by the soot on the glass. ithinx soot on the glass may deliver more heat to the room but the fire is pretty.

Say what? The F100 has neither an ash pan nor an ash door.

Edit: Just checked. They now make a multi-fuel F100 for Europe. That has an ash pan.

Thanks for the replies. I think I answered my own question. I went to Jotul UK website as this stove lists multifuel parts "for Europe". I looked at the pdf manual for multi-fuel applications to this stove. It is apparently an ashpan air intake. There is a kit in the UK for a coal grate and ashpan. A lever is attached to this plate via the underside of the stove permitting additional air from under the grate. Can't blame a burner for getting the most out of a stove... safely that is. I'll put her back on. Tear down and clean out complete.

Jon

Ah good, that clarifies the issue. The more I learn about this little stove the more I like it.

BeGreen said:
Ah good, that clarifies the issue. The more I learn about this little stove the more I like it.

The little sucker is a delight to burn in and has a great view of the fire. It is just too darn small!

Yeah, it sounds like the multifuel version would be more practical, especially if burning coal.

I see a lot of negative ratings on different sites for this stove. I think most of the complaints are from new burners that either lack experience, use poor fuel or don't realize the limitations of the stove. The nice thing is that it fits partially in my fireplace opening and half out so we get lots of heat. With the large glass window it throws off lots of heat. It also does not blow us out of the living room. Living room is on average 75 degrees. Any larger stove in my living room would be unbearable.

This stove will heat my downstairs to the point the furnace does not kick on at all. If I sit on the bottom landing of my stairs leading to the second floor the rush of warm air is amazing while pushing cold air down. Kind of like what an old gravity furnace did. Life is good when there is a snowstorm outside and the kids are in shorts and t-shirts...and the boiler is not running. Wood has to be a little shorter to fit in well, but achieving 500-600 degree burns are no issue, but I have a 25 foot internal brick chimney=a swell draft.

As for overnight burns, we let it go down so we don't have to worry about it while sleeping. I usually knock the damper halfway down and have embers in the ash for the next days fire.

fishingpol said:
I see a lot of negative ratings on different sites for this stove. I think most of the complaints are from new burners that either lack experience, use poor fuel or don't realize the limitations of the stove. The nice thing is that it fits partially in my fireplace opening and half out so we get lots of heat. With the large glass window it throws off lots of heat. It also does not blow us out of the living room. Living room is on average 75 degrees. Any larger stove in my living room would be unbearable.

This stove will heat my downstairs to the point the furnace does not kick on at all. If I sit on the bottom landing of my stairs leading to the second floor the rush of warm air is amazing while pushing cold air down. Kind of like what an old gravity furnace did. Life is good when there is a snowstorm outside and the kids are in shorts and t-shirts...and the boiler is not running. Wood has to be a little shorter to fit in well, but achieving 500-600 degree burns are no issue, but I have a 25 foot internal brick chimney=a swell draft.

As for overnight burns, we let it go down so we don't have to worry about it while sleeping. I usually knock the damper halfway down and have embers in the ash for the next days fire.
Very interesting, fishingpol. I'm currently trying to decide on a size of stove for the house. If I might ask, how big is your living room and how big is your downstairs area?

Thanks,
Ed

Status
Not open for further replies.