air intake..

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

chrisasst

Minister of Fire
Aug 13, 2008
cortland ny
Ok this is probably dumb question, but I can never figure this out. Do I get more heat if I have more air intake or less air intake. That is one of my down falls, I can never figure out the proper air adjustment. Also does more air = more pellets burned?

Chris, IMO, the more air you introduce into the burn the hotter and FASTER the pellets will burn....there's no free lunch.

I found that I was able to control the burn
better with an outside air kit...

I went the first three years using inside air.
The biggest issue I noticed was, a cold
draft across the floor. Room would be 75F,
my feet would be cold due to that draft.

Last week I connected a fresh air intake to the
outside. Cold draft at floor level is gone.
So imo if you can but haven't already, try to
set up a hose to the outside your better off.

The best way to set air is to close it till a smoky and lazy flame, then open the air slowly until it clears up and the flame is bright. If the stove gets sooty too little air, blow torch flame too much air. The right air setting will give maximum efficiency for what ever quantity of pellets burned.

Status
Not open for further replies.