Air quality while using the woodstove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Deere-nh

Aug 30, 2022
NH
Hi all, I recently purchased an air quality monitor and got some disturbing numbers while using the wood stove. I have high VOC and HCHO numbers. I believe I must have smoke leaking into the house? C02 was a little high put PM2.5 was good. Not sure if there are others who monitor this data as well.

I have a VC aspen. It 90° immediately off the stove and goes into a tee with a clean out. Then to a new 20' ss liner. I am going to put furnace around all the joints and try some other things to see if I can get healthy numbers.

20240115_203916.jpg 20230320_205429.jpg

Reactions: ctreitzell
That's co2, not CO
CO of 900 would be very concerning, like your not gonna make it out alive after a few hours.
Normal CO2 indoors is supposedly is 400-1,000PPM.

Burning wood is filthy, no way around it. Dust and dirt just around the stove from the wood carried in. My VC backpuffs at times giving us a lovely wood smoke aroma therapy. Hot reloading has to let plenty of bad stuff into the home also.

Burning wood is filthy, no way around it. Dust and dirt just around the stove from the wood carried in. My VC backpuffs at times giving us a lovely wood smoke aroma therapy. Hot reloading has to let plenty of bad stuff into the home also.

I'm fine with the dust and dirt. Been burning with wood my entire life. We recently had a baby and wanted to make sure it is safe air quality. All the PM valves have been good since monitoring.

I have noticed that you have to let the fire burn down in order to reload the stove. I open the door and let it crack for 30 seconds before opening the door and I don't believe it let's smoke out. It's definitely not like an old stove when you can load whenever you like.

I have noticed that you have to let the fire burn down in order to reload the stove. I open the door and let it crack for 30 seconds before opening the door and I don't believe it let's smoke out. It's definitely not like an old stove when you can load whenever you like.
Absolutely, burning in batches is the way to go with the new stoves. The old open the door whenever and tossing in 1 split is not the preferred method. Took me a while to break that habit. My wife, well good luck with that.

Who are we kidding.. we were all kids out playing in the 70s.. if we could live the burning of Ledded gas were good to go.. I say.. bring on all those particles.. my lungs were built with a pre filter.. just human evolution now..

so you burn wood and feel a little light headed and dizzy.. your getting all the fx of drinking expensive alcohol for free.. not to mention the warmth.. sounds like a win win if it were me

Reactions: BobcatBranch
Who are we kidding.. we were all kids out playing in the 70s.. if we could live the burning of Ledded gas were good to go.. I say.. bring on all those particles.. my lungs were built with a pre filter.. just human evolution now..

so you burn wood and feel a little light headed and dizzy.. your getting all the fx of drinking expensive alcohol for free.. not to mention the warmth.. sounds like a win win if it were me
Ha yeah and add all that asbestos we all sucked in from the pipe wrap in the basements.

I am curious if anyone monitors the air quality inside their house. I'm concerned that there is smoking drafting in somewhere. I believe the elevated HCHO- famdeyhade is in wood smoke.

I think the elevated TVOC level is from off gasing of the cast-iron from the woodstove. Curious what others think.

Aw man, leaded gas - that smelled sooo good when filling up at the gas station. Kids these days have no comparison.

I am curious if anyone monitors the air quality inside their house. I'm concerned that there is smoking drafting in somewhere. I believe the elevated HCHO- famdeyhade is in wood smoke.

I think the elevated TVOC level is from off gasing of the cast-iron from the woodstove. Curious what others think.

I'm of the school of best practices. Run the stove correctly, let the house draft in some fresh air, and use my nose to raise any alarms.

That monitor would have me chasing everything like you are. Now, research the effects of stress and worry vs. a little wood smoke here and there...

I say this not as a jab, but an admission of my long road to thinking more simply. Being very analytical by nature, overthinking for me can be detrimental at times and I find that stepping back and covering basics allows more common sense. And that is something you don't find a lot these days.

Reactions: JohnDaileyNH
I'm of the school of best practices. Run the stove correctly, let the house draft in some fresh air, and use my nose to raise any alarms.

That monitor would have me chasing everything like you are. Now, research the effects of stress and worry vs. a little wood smoke here and there...

I say this not as a jab, but an admission of my long road to thinking more simply. Being very analytical by nature, overthinking for me can be detrimental at times and I find that stepping back and covering basics allows more common sense. And that is something you don't find a lot these days.

well written.. we all can over thing things and dwelling in it to much and be Paralyzing

The reason why I bought the air monitor was when we run the stove I get a weird smell coming off of it. It's kind of a metal/ smoke smell when it gets hot. Similar to an off gasing smell. The woodstove is 3 years old and has run through multiple cords of wood. I don't believe it is leaking smoke but the meter maybe telling me otherwise. The stove has a strong draft. I'm a little puzzled at this point.

I am going to compare my readings to my parent's woodstove and go from there.

Reactions: BobcatBranch
No VOC, HCHO, and C02 increase after 15mins of starting. Platow after 4-5 hours and then decline until I reload the stove and repeat.
How new is the stove? Could the paint still be curing?

The reason why I bought the air monitor was when we run the stove I get a weird smell coming off of it. It's kind of a metal/ smoke smell when it gets hot. Similar to an off gasing smell. The woodstove is 3 years old and has run through multiple cords of wood. I don't believe it is leaking smoke but the meter maybe telling me otherwise. The stove has a strong draft. I'm a little puzzled at this point.

I am going to compare my readings to my parent's woodstove and go from there.

Hmmm... What are your STT and flue temps when you smell that? Wondering if it's running hot?

I'm fine with the dust and dirt. Been burning with wood my entire life. We recently had a baby and wanted to make sure it is safe air quality. All the PM valves have been good since monitoring.

I understand about having a baby and worried about air quality. When my son was 2 I remember the Dr. asking if we burned wood when he was having respiratory problems.
My DW stovepipe is on it's second year and if I get distracted and don't turn the stove down fast enough it will still give off a paint/metallic smell. I'm sure it's not good for us. Makes you wonder if there are any standards for the paint on these pipes. mine is a telescoping DW right off of the stove and the lower/inner section is duller looking than the upper section from heat.

try opening the window slightly, that way your house won't be depressurized and potentially you might not have that problem, if it works, just create an oak (outside air kit)