Air Temps from Breckwell SP6000

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

wrm14

Dec 1, 2011
WI
So I have been reading the forum and noticed a thread that mentioned the air temps coming from the stove. I got my meat thermometer and decided to see what I was getting because it doesn't seem like I am pumping enough heat. Much to my disappointment I am getting 130 on level 1, 143 on 2 and 155 on 3. The stove only goes to level 5 and have not tested levels 4 or 5 yet but this does not seem right. I am new to pellet stoves so any thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks

We have a different stove - Ecoteck Elena Air - but on power level 2 it's 190 F out of the front heat exchanger tubes. Since I'm new to pellet burning, can't trouble shoot for you though. Sure more experienced guys will chime in when they get home from work or where ever...

The air temperature you measure isn't a true indication of the heat you are producing and there is no way that what you get can be compared to what others get unless you are running the same stove. Even then it will vary depending upon how clean you keep your heat exchanger, the damper settings (if any), and the weight of the pellets being burned at that moment, and the pellets being burned.

Lots of luck separating them all out.

Lots of variables like Smokey said.

I measure the temps with a Cole Parmer K-type thermocouple ($30 on Amazon). I do this to check how good one pellet is from another. But before you start a new brand, the stove must be cleaned, so that it has the same operating parameters that the last pellet did. Otherwise a dirty stove will put out lower temps and make a Hot pellet, not look so Hot.

I only do it for my testing. I regularly see temps over 200* on Low. But this is my stove and YMMV.

Status
Not open for further replies.