Air tight seal on surround

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Makers Mark

Dec 14, 2013
Southern Appalachian
Using old ash dump in fireplace for OAK will roxul on top of incert and stuffed in on sides keep air out. Trying to keep from using heated air.

the better way to do this would be to take a piece of sheet metal and seal that down over the ash dump .get you whatever size oak pipe your using a sheet metal tab in collar and mount that into the metal before you seal it down to the ash dump .Then you can attach a pipe to that and the other end to your stove .Now the stove gets all its air through the pipe and its controlled.it would be similar to this but only yours is mounted over the ash dump

Attachments

• 079.JPG
    079.JPG
    201.1 KB · Views: 121
That's a great idea but insert is covering half the ash dump,can't get a pipe down it. Do you think putting roxul on top of and on sides behind surround would work? If I pack it in tight? Heater is burning good just thought oak would make it better. Surround on voyeuger is kinda concave won't mount flat like one on 84 buck I had it screwed and Rutland's cement on it.

letting cold air fill the area around the back of the insert will be hard to keep from seeping out any little place it can find ,If the stove is working good i think i would leave it alone.

I agree if it ain't broke don't fixit . Thanks for your input. Love the way you did your stove. That would be hard to beat.

I have an insert with the same setup (screen over ash cleanup door opening). I noticed a couple weeks ago when It was way below freezing that even when my stove was cruising at 600, the bottom 2-3" of the surround trim was ice cold from all the air leaking past. I stuffed the gaps between the fireplace opening and the sheet metal surround of the insert with the high temp Roxul safe n sound and it made a huge difference! I recommend it.
image.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.