Air tube on back of stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

yrock87

Aug 26, 2014
Fairbanks, AK
While cleaning out my fine box, I saw that there was a rubber tube that was only attached at one end. The attached end is at the air intake, and there is a whole that it looks like it goes to on the auger assembly. I was going to use rvt to read attach but I can't get it to set without flinging off. Would jb weld work? I don't think the auger assembly gets THAT hot?

Also, is this tube just to provide air flow down the auger opposed to allowing air to flow from the firebox back up?

It is a new P43 and i am trying to point to the whole with my finger.

Attachments

• IMG_20141002_105858_263.jpg
    IMG_20141002_105858_263.jpg
    144.3 KB · Views: 258
While cleaning out my fine box, I saw that there was a rubber tube that was only attached at one end. The attached end is at the air intake, and there is a whole that it looks like it goes to on the auger assembly. I was going to use rvt to read attach but I can't get it to set without flinging off. Would jb weld work? I don't think the auger assembly gets THAT hot?

Also, is this tube just to provide air flow down the auger opposed to allowing air to flow from the firebox back up?

It is a new P43 and i am trying to point to the whole with my finger.

I also have the P43. I know the tube you are referring to. When I did my major teardown cleaning recently that tube was very loose. Since I was removing the auger assembly to inspect and clean I decided to investigate the tube being loose. That tube is supposed to attached to a brass like nipple in that hole you pointed to. Once I removed my auger I was able to reach the back side of that brass nipple and push my tube onto the brass nipple alittle farther. Looks like you lost the brass nipple. Have you run the stove and heard any sort of crunching? I don't know about just glueing or JB welding it in place. Maybe someone else will chime in.

No crunching yet. A nipple makes sense, I was thinking that it needed one.

I used JB weld. Rated to 250f. Will see how it works tonight.

Attachments

• IMG_20141002_114117_715.jpg
    IMG_20141002_114117_715.jpg
    133 KB · Views: 214
You need to find the brass nipple.Epoxy works really well.Needs to be installed.Nipple is probably down inside auger.Is really easy to epoxy nipple in with auger removed.Stove was probably updated at dealer and they did not glue.Just my 2 cents.

You need to find the brass nipple.Epoxy works really well.Needs to be installed.Nipple is probably down inside auger.Is really easy to epoxy nipple in with auger removed.Stove was probably updated at dealer and they did not glue.Just my 2 cents.
Can I wait till I pull it apart? Or should I disassemble everything just for that brass nipple? I wasnt planning on pulling the auger untill the end of the season at the soonest...

I shall try to be nice.New means nothing/when was it installed/what is the production date,if it is "new" why have you not called your dealer/installer?The thick silicone hose is/was an update/intermidate fix for gummy stove problem on "some" harman stoves.The fact that you have this hose shows that the factory or the dealer made the modification.The fact that you glued the hose to the sheet metal shows that you did not call your dealer or installer/it will not last.There is a small piece of metal down inside of your stove,will cause problems.I am amazed the 5 or more harman people that work for dealers have not brought this up.

Thanks for the info. I will get in touch with my dealer. I'm the stove was self installed and i am not able to get the production number right now. My dealer is 100 miles away so my first thought is to fix it myself.
I have to admit, I was surprised to see that there was this hose sticking out of what appeared to be a well made machine.

I would agree that if it is under warranty you should have the harman dealer you bought it from take care of it, although they may not like it at a flat rate $50 for warranty work and being 100 miles away, but that is why harman tells dealers to not lower the cost of the stove to cover themselves if they do need to perform warranty work on the stove. Also I cant imagine if the brass fitting was actually installed like it was suppose to be it didn't already fall down into the auger and get pushed through, the fitting is sitting right above the ramp the pellets go down to get to the auger. Good thing though is I have seen pictures on this forum of a harman chewing through nails and spitting them out into the ash pan and those thin little fittings shouldn't be as tough as nails.

Do not want to ruin your day,but truth in advertising has went away in most states,due to state legistrators.Your stove may be very old,but they may be under no libality as it is/was new.The good thing is it is a quality item,and will last for many years.Pulling the auger and gluing in the fitting is not hard,I can send you the info if ness.But the dealer should cover this 100%,mileage should not be a concern as it is "new",they should be at your house tommorow or you should call the harman contact line.You do have a quality product.

Do not want to ruin your day,but truth in advertising has went away in most states,due to state legistrators.Your stove may be very old,but they may be under no libality as it is/was new.The good thing is it is a quality item,and will last for many years.Pulling the auger and gluing in the fitting is not hard,I can send you the info if ness.But the dealer should cover this 100%,mileage should not be a concern as it is "new",they should be at your house tommorow or you should call the harman contact line.You do have a quality product.
Thanks again, unfortunately I am out of town for a few weeks. I will be sure to contact them as soon as I get back and get a real fix in place. I am interested to see when my stove was 'born'. Do you know when they put a more permanent fix in place opposed to retrofitting tube? I will share the production number as soon as I return as well.

Sorry been busy.The air tube bypass was/is for gummy stove/and/or somke coming from hopper.The harman field fix used to be drilling a hole through the fines box,then through the auger tube,to allow an air bleed into the auger tube(hole through fines box is sealed after operation.Appears the field fix was to do the tube drilling,but took a lot of time,so the next evolution of the field fix was the install of the air tube/hose.The newer stoves with the newer feed boxes supposably do not have these problems,you can look them up on the website.I have seen replacement feed boxes(not "the new feed boxes/system) with the holes in the auger tube,drilled and hose kit installed.Bottom line if a harman employee does not tell us,we will never know.Also have heard of different mods done by harman dealers.But can say with good confidence if you get hose kit properly reinstalled(glue the nipples in) you will have no problems.Never yet saw a harman that did not have the build date on the sticker on the stove.Hope this helps,and any harman employee fell free to correct me.

Status
Not open for further replies.