Air wash system

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

James02

Feeling the Heat
Aug 18, 2011
N.Y.S.
Hi all... I checked and didn't see anything I liked... somebody please explain how it works. I'm fairly sure I have it, just checking its working correctly...tks!

You have it. It is primary combustion air that is drawn in at the top of the door opening and down across the glass prior to turning into the fire.

BrotherBart said:
You have it. It is primary combustion air that is drawn in at the top of the door opening and down across the glass prior to turning into the fire.

I don't have a fancy incert, just a slide lever on the bottom...I am assuming that's where my air enters the combustion chamber?? Would it still cycle around the box and slide down the glass?

Yep. Channels carry it up to the top where it then comes back down over the glass to keep it clean.

When you open your door, is there a slit or channel you can see at the top?? (Door open).

On an Englander its very visible..

You can see my 1st secondary tube, then there is a channel for air, then the top of the door.

Other pic you can see it a little better. This is the Primary air. It comes through that slit/channel and "washes" down the glass.

Just loadin up for the night burn.......

Attachments

• airwash.jpg
    airwash.jpg
    47.5 KB · Views: 283
  • wash2.jpg
    wash2.jpg
    44.9 KB · Views: 288
Closing the door should have been really interesting. :roll:

BrotherBart said:
Closing the door should have been really interesting. :roll:

WOW!!!!! That does look like there sticking out. But I opened the door to take the pics. They are about 1" back from the front channel at the bottom.
They are dead even with the splits beneath them.. Does look odd in the pic?

But door closed fine. Weird. The cutout is even with the curve and radius of the upper right hand split. Makes it look funny.

Optical illusion and very old eyes. :lol:

The air comes in through the bottom & channels to the top, giving the secondaries the needed air. The "boost baffle" (that metal thing with holes) in it supplies the air, hence the holes .

Slide lever controls air flow.

The Doghouse or metal thing in the bottom and the secondary air is uncontrolled by the Primary lever (on Englanders).

Only the air coming through the airwash or slit by the top of the glass is controlled by the Primary lever (adjustable).

Doghouse (metal box bottom front of firebox) air is unadjustable also. Its intake is 2 small square holes at the very bottom/front side of firebox. With Legs on they are easily seen. With Pedestal you have to look from the back and look all the way up to the bottom front of stove and even then they are hard to see.

Secondary air is also unadjustable. Large rectangular hole near primary air intake in the back of stove.

This goes for quite a few models. But especially Englander stoves. Some stoves have adjustable secondary air and primary air? But whats above relates directly to Englanders.

On my stove the 'airwash' is just as others have described - primary air enters the firebox above the glass then flows down over the glass before heading back into the fire. There is a separate 'doghouse' air vent below the door that allows more air into the firebox. When I have some smoke blowing around the inside of the firebox it is easy to see the downward direction of airflow in front of the glass.

Status
Not open for further replies.