Alaskan mill and ripping chains (first timer)

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

BucksCounty

Feeling the Heat
Jan 11, 2009
Southeast PA
Want to get into milling a little and ordered a Alaskan MKiii. It takes up to a 24 in. bar. I am going to use the 20in. bar on my 455 rancher. Questions I'm hoping people can help me with.

1. Plan on using straight 2x4s as rail guides. Everything I read is first cut is very important. The metal rail guides are pretty expensive so I am hoping the 2x4s will work?

2. I want to order a ripping chain. What skip chain for the 20 in. stock bar? It is 3/8, .050.

3. Would it make cutting much easier to move to a .058 bar? If so, what bar/chain should I get?

Was on Bailey's site today and was getting a little overwhelmed with options so where better to ask.

I have always used stock chains from box stores. Recently purchased an Oregon 72lgx chain and what a difference. Like butter bucking large white and red oaks. Very happy with it. Never going back to box store chains!

I realize the mill is slow going and will be work, but something I would like to get into.

Straight 2 x 4's will be fine.Since getting my MKIII in 1992 I've used a straight 2 x 12 with 1/4 thick x 1.5 x 1.5 x 12" long structural angle screwed to lower edges every foot or so as a stiffener for most all the first cuts.Also a few times used a straight 8 or 10 ft aluminum extension ladder.That works well too.

Ripping chain is so much better - cuts faster,smoother with less wear & stress on the saw engine.Not to mention the operator.

3/8 pitch .050 gauge chain is fine for bars 28" or less..063 is best for bars over 28"

.058 isn't needed IMO I only use .050 & .063 gauge on everything,except the wee Echo top handle is .043.Much easier to keep track of things that way.

I have a similar set up and use a ripping chain (woodland from Baileys) does well with an 046 w/25 inch bar. if in doubt, call Baileys and ask them. boards will work til you get some aluminum set up (unless you do not need it perfectly flat). its alot of fun but tough getting started because everything goes wrong at first. I use a pair of motorcycle goggles and a heavy duty mask.

Status
Not open for further replies.