alcove header limitations -

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

fireplacenoob

Oct 6, 2014
usa
Hello everyone, I have a blazeking princess ultra on the way with an alcove style opening its going to be installed in. Ceiling of alcove is 9ft high. So the restrictions on the blazeking princess are that the you need 49" of top clearance above the stove. That would put the req. at (35" + 49" = 7ft) high, I have plenty of height clearance. My question is, I would like to leave the chase open all the way up 9ft, but make a front wall come down leaving a clearance of about 5 ft so I can mount a TV above the wood stove. It would be a 2x6 thick wall but the chimney would still go up to 9ft on the inside of the chase. Is this "breaking the rules" or risk? I know lots of hot air would get trapped inside the ceiling of the chase and wont be able to get out as fast as it would without the front wall I would be lowering 4ft.

Thoughts?

That is going to be a heat trap which is not good for heat circulation or for the TV. The stove requires 7 ft minimum alcove height. That's not negotiable. Is there another TV location option?

Status
Not open for further replies.