Alcove problem

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

andy pnw

Nov 3, 2022
Hey all,
Looking for ideas. I currently have a pellet stove in an alcove. It was set up this way when I bought the house about a year and a half ago. I'd really like to swap it out for a wood stove. As you can see in the pictures attached, everything on the interior is brick, with a brick chimney but it's not brick all the way through to the outside wall (wood framing and siding). It looks like this was built for a wood stove originally, as it has a 6-in pipe, but my local fireplace shop says that because it's not masonry all the way through the outside wall, then none of the modern stoves can be installed in the space as is. There's just not enough clearance between the back corners of the stove and the walls, and of course there's vertical clearance to consider as well. Basically, this alcove was built in the late '80s and may have been to code for a wood stove then, but not anymore. According to the shop, I would basically have to demo the whole structure to make a freestanding stove work. The other option is to modify the current opening to accommodate a zero clearance wood burning fireplace. I've included a couple of pictures, the one that looks weird is the inside of the alcove. The cement barrier you see inside the alcove is approximately halfway up the wall, I don't know what's above it as you get closer to the chimney. I know I could just keep the pellet stove, but I'm looking for the best path if I did decide to make the switch .

My main questions for this forum are:

1. Would you recommend modifying the alcove for a zero clearance wood burning fireplace or demoing the alcove and rebuilding something else to accommodate a freestanding stove? My main concern is that type of stove not heating as well, but it would be cheaper and way less of a headache than rebuilding the whole thing.

2. If I demo the alcove, what am I really getting into? What am I likely to find in the space I can't see? In particular, is the brick chimney likely structurally dependent on the brick alcove? I can't really see how it wouldn't be, and the part I worry the most about with taking the whole thing apart is having to demo the chimney too. I'm not familiar with how these are constructed considering the masonry alcove and chimney with wood framed wall and siding on the outside.

3. Any alternative ideas?

16675292046248733701749767528732.jpg 16675295794048236907709147485229.jpg

Last edited:
If there are studs behind the brick, an insert can't be out in. They'd need a full masonry fireplace.

Zero clearance fireplaces might work.

I would also suggest to have the chimney inspected for safety (and suitability).

It really depends upon the thickness of brick etc. We need many more details to know anything

If there are studs behind the brick, an insert can't be out in. They'd need a full masonry fireplace.

Zero clearance fireplaces might work.

I would also suggest to have the chimney inspected for safety (and suitability).
Thank you, I had the terminology wrong there. Just updated the post to specify zero clearance fireplaces.

First each model stove will have alcove clearances if it’s alcove approved. May or may not be the limiting factor. It appears the 6” single wall stove pipe is surrounded by concrete. What is above that? It raises red flags for me. But im an an amateur. Not room for expansion of the stove pipe.

One option to consider is extending the brick hearth out enough so that it’s not an alcove. Meet clearances to combustibles for a regular install and all you need is the correct venting system.

Seems like a lot of work and $$ to switch to wood. Are you unhappy with pellets?

I kinda like the looks. Id try and work with what I have before demoing.

Reactions: stoveliker
First each model stove will have alcove clearances if it’s alcove approved. May or may not be the limiting factor. It appears the 6” single wall stove pipe is surrounded by concrete. What is above that? It raises red flags for me. But im an an amateur. Not room for expansion of the stove pipe.

One option to consider is extending the brick hearth out enough so that it’s not an alcove. Meet clearances to combustibles for a regular install and all you need is the correct venting system.

Seems like a lot of work and $$ to switch to wood. Are you unhappy with pellets?

I kinda like the looks. Id try and work with what I have before demoing.
Right now, I'm leaning towards just keeping the pellet stove. If I could buy pellets for 20 years for the cost of switching to wood, then it's really not worth the money or trouble. There are a lot of reasons I'd like to switch to wood though. Some are economical (which diminishes as the cost of the project goes up), and some are comfort and lifestyle preferences. So I'm going to dig into the options a little before I give up on it.

The bricks against the wall are 3 1/2 in thick. What else would be helpful to know as it relates to my questions?
They would need to be two courses thick, to qualify as non-combustible. To keep cost reasonable. I'd probably tear out the diagonal wall keeping the rear wall bricks and put in a freestanding corner installed wood stove. However, that may not fly by the home decorating committee.

Last edited: