Alderlea T6 Ash Door

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

skootch13

Jan 7, 2022
cincinnati
I might want to get rid of my ash door in my stove. i know these things don't seal perfectly since there is no gasket. is ther a blanking plate that can be bolted on after removing the ash door?

See pics

20220113_204826.jpg 20220113_204834.jpg

I'd leave it in place in case the stove is ever sold. In this case, it looks like there are some coals or clinkers caught at the edge of the trap door. That's a common problem. Good for you spotting it. Clean it well of all ash and coals and verify it is shutting tightly. Then let that pocket between the bricks fill up with ash and don't use it. There will be no leakage then.

Had that happen to me on my PE Spectrum which is one of the reasons I never use that ash trap. In my case I removed the firebricks around the ash trap, vacuumed the steel floor fully, cleaned the ash trap in and out, closed it several times to ensure it sealed perfectly and fully. The ash trap disposal system IMHO is more trouble than anything else, PE should remove it and offer it as an option only to those he really want it.

Those ash pans are a pain.i shovel into a pail.takes 2 minutes

I have been using an AshTrap instead for the last 20 - 25 years, fast, clean, very safe, no mess, no dust and real easy to use. Best wood stove tool I have along with my custom made coal rake ! Ordered it somewhere in Ontario way back when from the gentlemen manufacturing these, use it every week sometimes twice a week during the burning season.

Last edited: