1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

All my local pellet peeps....and or pigs!

Post in 'The Pellet Mill - Pellet and Multifuel Stoves' started by slvrblkk, Nov 17, 2012.

1. slvrblkk

slvrblkk Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Northampton, PA
    I'm only posting this here because everyone is really high on Somersets but the Lowes on MacArthur Rd. has Somersets, Greene Team, Prestos and Timber Heat for $4.18 a bag or $199 a ton contractor price. I bought 15 bags of Somersets and will probably be going back for more. They had many tons of each.

Also posted in the fuel price report...

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. jtakeman

jtakeman Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Northwestern CT.
    Yep! Boycotting Lowes. Seems we might also want to consider boycotting HD as they aren't excepting the military discount(imacman reminded me). Except my TSC only has a couple of yuk brands! I have to see what Agway and my local pellet dealers have.

Under $200/ton pellets are just TOO tempting! So are these Pres-to-logs this season. Burned the last bag of them, Now I'm back to the GS's and they suck IMHO! Trying hard not to burn the good stuff(Hamers-Cubex) just yet! I'm not lucky enough to find Sets at my local Lowes or I'd sneak in to get some.
  3. slvrblkk

Loc:
    Northampton, PA
    Yes, they are all the same price....I should say that I didn't see any different pricing on the other pellets....

FYI...I think I passed OMV and he had his trailer with him...lol
    oldmountvernon likes this.
  4. slvrblkk

Loc:
    Northampton, PA
    Jay....the Prestos look to be new stock...I was there last week but didn't buy pellets. I actually went back this morning to oink up my stash a bit with the Prestos but to my surprise they had the Somersets...how can one pass those up? lololol
  5. jtakeman

Loc:
    Northwestern CT.
    Informing OCD(omv to others) of pellet deal's is very dangerous! Your next trip to the store, You may find sold out signs and empty area's where the pellet stacks were! ;sick
    oldmountvernon and slvrblkk like this.
  6. jtakeman

Loc:
    Northwestern CT.
    I couldn't pass sets if I saw them either! So I'd just buy both! ;em Might want to make another trip(when the wifey isn't looking) and grab a couple bags of the Pres-to-logs. I'm impressed with what I see this year! Dang hot as OMV sniffing a pellet trail!
    The Ds likes this.
  7. subsailor

subsailor Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Winthrop, Maine
    HD DOES have a military discount. They just changed the procedure. You have to register at the service desk and show them your credentials. Then they send you coupons via e-mail. Most are for 10%, but I have received a couple 5% and 1 15%. They also sent me a $20 gift card. From what I've seen everytime I use one they send another. So I think I'm ahead of the game this way over the straight 10%.
  8. jtakeman

Loc:
    Northwestern CT.
    Whew! Presto's here we come!
  9. subsailor

subsailor Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Winthrop, Maine
    When I signed up, they gave me 10% off on the spot.
  10. CTguy9230

CTguy9230 Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Northwest CT
    i fully agree...gonna grab 2 ton tomorrow if HD still has some

i picked up 2 bags the other day and couldnt beleive the differance in heat compared to the GT's i have burning
  11. LMPS

LMPS Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Coastal, Maine
    I take the Somersets do not come as far north as Maine?
  12. jtakeman

Loc:
    Northwestern CT.
    Uh oh, Looks like I better hurry! :p
  13. DexterDay

DexterDay Guest

Been a long time believer in the Presto's. . They are a great pellet at great prices..

All of those brands for $199/ton is awesome. All of my Lowes are around $5.97 a bag. For Green Supremes!!! Ridiculous
  14. CTguy9230

CTguy9230 Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Northwest CT
    ya better...eing how i can see the store from window !!! :cool:
  15. jtakeman

Loc:
    Northwestern CT.
    I'm not gonna win am I? ;em Save me something! :(
  16. will711

will711 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Pocono mts.

Hey thanks for the info I'll have to check my local Lowe's.
  17. whlago

whlago Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    NW Connecticut
    J~ Your TSC is my TSC...what are the junk pellets they are selling now? Save me some presto's please...going to take a trip today for 15 bags.
  18. jtakeman

Loc:
    Northwestern CT.
    Green Supreme's and Northeast where what they had last week. Pres-to-logs are producing less ash and a lot more heat for about the same price. Geez, there coming out of the wood work! I'd better hurry! Road trip!
  19. Shaw520

Shaw520 Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Modena
    Jay,.. yer making me go out and get some presto's,... i turned them up last week when I saw them at the store, (remembering your review),.. but now I gotta try em,
  20. jtakeman

Loc:
    Northwestern CT.
    I bet you'll like them. Please share what you think when you do try some.

Anyone burning blue labeled ligs this season? I bet they are also better these days. Ligs seems to have made some changes or found the issue with the fiber they were getting. I also don't notice the funny pungent smell they used to have.

I gotta stop reading and typing! These NWCT folks are gonna scarf up all the goods on me! ;em
    whlago likes this.
  21. slvrblkk

Loc:
    Northampton, PA
    Jay...you're killing me!!!! was going to go back for Somersets but now I think I'm gonna grab some Prestos!!!!! Decisions decisions....lol
  22. jtakeman

Loc:
    Northwestern CT.
    :p No set's near me! But you might wanna try some! Chicken? ::-)

Set's are much cleaner- Heat I'll give to the PTL's. I'd honestly choose the set's, But they aren't an option for me. So! >>
  23. DexterDay

DexterDay Guest

The heat difference in my Presto's, compared to Somersets is minimal (on my stove with my thermocouple, in my house/my conditions) there is about a 5°-10° temp difference. The ash is slightly heavier and darker, but ash dont worry me. Heat does. They are also a larger diameter pellet, dark color (thinking because its a blend), and majority of them are small pellets.

When you compare this to an alternative pellet (no names) it can be as much as 35°-40°…

Again. This is my stove, your results may vary.

If they ever make it out here again, I will be buying more. Somersets do burn cleaner. No doubt. But you wont go cold on the Presto's :)
    jtakeman likes this.
  24. DexterDay

DexterDay Guest

If they are better this year, than in years past, they may very well be Hotter than the Sets?

Now i am on the hunt for some Fresh Ones ;)
  25. jtakeman

Loc:
    Northwestern CT.
    To late, I already did! Gets me in trouble sometimes! ;em

Nah, We need some too! Leave something for the others! ::-)
    DexterDay likes this.