All pellets are the same!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
hotdawg said:
1Dtml said:
ironpony said:
now, if you would of spent some money
and bought a Harman
it would not matter
they all burn the same

Ok, you have my attention, so is there any truth to this?

For with my limited experience most pellets need some tweaking of adjustments to burn cleanly, and some are just bad burners in my stove.

Jay's testing information has worked out super for me, and saved me much time and $$ with pellet selection. ;-)

I'm considering a Harman P38 to heat my basement.

1D

I'd like to know that answer too! Considering the P38 for my family room trying to decide between top feeder vs. bottom feeder and auto-ignite vs. manual. Good to know about the pellets though.

Must be some real space age heat exchanger in that thing!

1Dtml said:
ironpony said:
and bought a Harman
it would not matter
they all burn the same

They had a thread going on here somewhere, I'll see if I can find it. They say the computer can adjust things so they all create the same amount of heat.

But IMHO a lower grade fuel will have to feed more in to get the same amount of heat so you'll use them up quicker. A stove that has fixed controls you will see heat variation with different brands. And I'm pretty sure if we sent ironpony some Inferno's? He'd change his tune on burning the same! Might take 3 bags of fuel to equal the one of his Somersets! Lets not even get into the ash content!

We need a Harman guy to test some pellets for us. Must measure the temps so we can all see!

ironpony said:
and bought a Harman
it would not matter
they all burn the same
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
I'm sure you are joking...They ain't the same in mine...

j-takeman said:
1Dtml said:
ironpony said:
and bought a Harman
it would not matter
they all burn the same

They had a thread going on here somewhere, I'll see if I can find it. They say the computer can adjust things so they all create the same amount of heat.

But IMHO a lower grade fuel will have to feed more in to get the same amount of heat so you'll use them up quicker. A stove that has fixed controls you will see heat variation with different brands. And I'm pretty sure if we sent ironpony some Inferno's? He'd change his tune on burning the same! Might take 3 bags of fuel to equal the one of his Somersets! Lets not even get into the ash content!

We need a Harman guy to test some pellets for us. Must measure the temps so we can all see!

I have a spring type chimney flue thermometer on the side of my P-61A. I've been burning Greene Team and bought some Bayou pellets. I run my stove in stove mode all the time. With the stove set at the same temp, with approximately the same outside air temp, the side of my stove is 30 to 50 degrees hotter burning Greene Team. Not very scientific, I agree. But a pretty good indicator.

j-takeman said:
But IMHO a lower grade fuel will have to feed more in to get the same amount of heat so you'll use them up quicker.

You are correct. A lower BTU content fuel would consume more pounds to create the same temp at the esp probe.

GUY's I was kidding..................

if someone wants to donate some junk pellets I will test them

ironpony said:

Huge blunder ironpony expect some Infernos (someone will find some the both glow in the dark and burn with a green flame).

subsailor said:
j-takeman said:
1Dtml said:
ironpony said:
and bought a Harman
it would not matter
they all burn the same

I have a spring type chimney flue thermometer on the side of my P-61A. I've been burning Greene Team and bought some Bayou pellets. I run my stove in stove mode all the time. With the stove set at the same temp, with approximately the same outside air temp, the side of my stove is 30 to 50 degrees hotter burning Greene Team. Not very scientific, I agree. But a pretty good indicator.

Thank you subsailor, That's kind of what I though.

mepellet said:
j-takeman said:
But IMHO a lower grade fuel will have to feed more in to get the same amount of heat so you'll use them up quicker.

You are correct. A lower BTU content fuel would consume more pounds to create the same temp at the esp probe.

You also have a good stash of fuel to try. Subsailor says he see's a difference in stove temp with different brands. Have you checked the convection temps with your different brands?

j-takeman said:
Oh, Wait a minute here. Maybe we shouldn't and it might be better to leave it alone.
When the box stores think they are all the same, We see pellets like Somerset going
for the same low price as Inferno's. Should we just let them be???

I think it's too late to let it be. Too many big mouths out there already
spilled the beans to many store managers. Folks have even bragged
here on the forum about how they've "educated" a Manager or two.

j-takeman said:
mepellet said:
j-takeman said:

You also have a good stash of fuel to try. Subsailor says he see's a difference in stove temp with different brands. Have you checked the convection temps with your different brands?
No.. I haven't had time. I def want to. I have also started to run my stove in room temp and reallyvlike it. I don't overheat the stove room and save a bunch of pellets. I do however want to test convection temps of different pellets. Not gonna get many free weekend days for a while though. I usually stay busy during weekends in the winter chasing flags on the ice.

ironpony said:

The gurus kinda let you have it, huh! And save some of those junk pellets for me.

Xena said:
j-takeman said:
Oh, Wait a minute here. Maybe we shouldn't and it might be better to leave it alone.
When the box stores think they are all the same, We see pellets like Somerset going
for the same low price as Inferno's. Should we just let them be???

I think it's too late to let it be. Too many big mouths out there already
spilled the beans to many store managers. Folks have even bragged
here on the forum about how they've "educated" a Manager or two.

Maybe a few have been educated but at the rate they flip them at the those places they now all likely work at local variety stores.

Status
Not open for further replies.