All the heat goes up the chimney myth

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
I'm a scientist by education. There's a three-page argu .... discussion ... on a single data point? ==c

I'm a scientist by profession. And it was not a discussion about a data point but about the false claim in the title.

Reactions: Rob_Red and bholler
That is a good beer. Hopefully nothing changes seeing as how Bells sold out.
It’s relatively inexpensive too. Probably too good to be true for very long.

I'm in the same state and I've found it for 9.99 plus tax.
That might be a whole dollar cheaper than what I can get it for at my local party store and it’s brewed here. I hear Costco has good deals on a case of bottles

If you can find it in the pint (not 12 ounce) cans, try it. I find it's a richer, maltier brew. I don't think I'm imagining it.
Will do

That might be a whole dollar cheaper than what I can get it for at my local party store and it’s brewed here. I hear Costco has good deals on a case of bottles
That price may be pre inflation days. It's been awhile since I bought a six. I got a taste for the 4 pack pints (don't recall price). And yes drinking 4 of those in a night will give you a hangover! I also like their Kalamazoo stout. One of the better "mass produced craft" brewers.

They had multiple fireplaces in homes and they weren't warm. They just didn't freeze
I asked about the temperature in homes during in New England winters at the Salem Towne House at Old Sturbridge Village. That is the largest home in the village, and not your typical home. Was told that the entire family moved into one room during the coldest winter months, and it was very cold in the house (40s?).

People wore many, many layers to keep warm. Women wore multiple petticoats.

Reactions: bholler
That price may be pre inflation days. It's been awhile since I bought a six. I got a taste for the 4 pack pints (don't recall price). And yes drinking 4 of those in a night will give you a hangover! I also like their Kalamazoo stout. One of the better "mass produced craft" brewers.
Yes Bells has a great line up of brews.

I asked about the temperature in homes during in New England winters at the Salem Towne House at Old Sturbridge Village. That is the largest home in the village, and not your typical home. Was told that the entire family moved into one room during the coldest winter months, and it was very cold in the house (40s?).

People wore many, many layers to keep warm. Women wore multiple petticoats.

Sounds about right overall, in the 40s on average throughout the house. This was during the Mini Ice Age as well.

Yeah it is, is it the most effective heating absolutely not, but I guess everyone from ancient times to Middle Ages to colonial America had fireplaces for no reason and froze to death according to the EPA lol. There is a reason every castle and colonial American home had multiply fireplaces until the invent of wood burners

Yeah it is, is it the most effective heating absolutely not, but I guess everyone from ancient times to Middle Ages to colonial America had fireplaces for no reason and froze to death according to the EPA lol. There is a reason every castle and colonial American home had multiply fireplaces until the invent of wood burners
What does the EPA have to do with it? Absolutely a fireplace was better than nothing but compared to a stove they simply are not very good. I really don't understand why people are arguing this

What does the EPA have to do with it? Absolutely a fireplace was better than nothing but compared to a stove they simply are not very good. I really don't understand why people are arguing this
Respectfully, That wasn’t the original statement of the original poster. I agree with you only a Moran would argue it’s a effective way to heat a home now or in the past

Reactions: bholler
@PaulOinMA Dont forget about the mini ice age in the 1800's

Respectfully, That wasn’t the original statement of the original poster. I agree with you only a Moran would argue it’s a effective way to heat a home now or in the past
True they didn't say that. But they did say they could be phenomenal heaters. Which I just don't see when compared to any stove.

True they didn't say that. But they did say they could be phenomenal heaters. Which I just don't see when compared to any stove.
Check out the history of Ben Franklin and Jefferson use some of the first wood burners in N.America interesting stuff . I think Franklin even invented and created his own

Check out the history of Ben Franklin and Jefferson use some of the first wood burners in N.America interesting stuff . I think Franklin even invented and created his own
Yes I am fully aware of them. Basically freestanding cast iron fireplaces. There were many thousands of cheap copies made in the late 70s early 80s.

Reactions: WoodBurner777
I didn't make comparisons to stoves. But imagine a real fire in this fireplace, not the small cooking one I had. I've not had a "real" fire. I'll bet it produces a phenomenal amount of heat in the room --- more than any stove. It is a major inconvenience running a fireplace for the modern lifestyle.

I didn't make comparisons to stoves. But imagine a real fire in this fireplace, not the small cooking one I had. I've not had a "real" fire. I'll bet it produces a phenomenal amount of heat in the room --- more than any stove. It is a major inconvenience running a fireplace for the modern lifestyle.
Yes it will create a phenomenal ammout of heat while using a phenomenal ammout of wood and sucking a phenomenal ammout of air out the chimney to be replaced with cold outside air.

Again I have no problem at all if people choose to use open fireplaces. But don't kid yourself into believing they are efficient in any way.

I've proven every word in my original post. I don't know why you are too stubborn to either admit it, or ignore it. Look up the word "heater." Look up the word "phenomenal." It's not hard.