All the heat goes up the chimney myth

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Ok do you heat your home with that fireplace?

I've proven every word in my original post. I don't know why you are too stubborn to either admit it, or ignore it. Look up the word "heater." Look up the word "phenomenal." It's not hard.
Replacement air coming in is the issue, if the fireplace has its own fresh air intake then it would be better for the room, without it then the cold air gets drawn in from any cracks, poorly insulated spaces like plug outlets, doors & windows, the air then comes across the room and cools it down, also the hot air coming from the fire is less dense so it rises up the path of least resistance which is the chimney and creates a convective loop drawing in more cold denser air to backfill.
If you like fireplaces check out masonry heaters, or Russian heaters, they captivate my mind and look like pieces of fine art to me.

Reactions: ctyankee and Prof
Replacement air coming in is the issue, if the fireplace has its own fresh air intake then it would be better for the room, without it then the cold air gets drawn in from any cracks, poorly insulated spaces like plug outlets, doors & windows, the air then comes across the room and cools it down, also the hot air coming from the fire is less dense so it rises up the path of least resistance which is the chimney and creates a convective loop drawing in more cold denser air to backfill.
If you like fireplaces check out masonry heaters, or Russian heaters, they captivate my mind and look like pieces of fine art to me.
I was wondering about an OAK thing. How much air would have to be piped in to the fireplace, from a window (or wall) for ex. I'm thinking of a tube? Would it have to be huge in diameter? Any thoughts would be interesting. Thanks

I was wondering about an OAK thing. How much air would have to be piped in to the fireplace, from a window (or wall) for ex. I'm thinking of a tube? Would it have to be huge in diameter? Any thoughts would be interesting. Thanks
It would have to be roughly 60% of the flue volume.

I think ideally for me a dream home would have 1. Woodburner/stove for practical heating 2. One traditional fireplace for enjoyment novelty effect . I’d rather have either than nothing like most homes built now a days in the advent of a power outrage mid winter
You are spot on about most homes today. My kids think I am nuts when I point out that most newer homes don't even have a chimney of any sort. If the hearth is missing, I wouldn't want to live there.

Im sure there is a standard in relation to fireplace size but I would assume that a 4" pipe is more then enough, if it isnt your still substantially reducing the amount of makeup air just by having the pipe there which means a warmer room.

Im sure there is a standard in relation to fireplace size but I would assume that a 4" pipe is more then enough, if it isnt your still substantially reducing the amount of makeup air just by having the pipe there which means a warmer room.
4" wouldn't do a thing

So it could possibly be efficient with air tight doors, an insulated flue, and an outside air connection, well that sounds like a high efficiency zero clearance fireplace...

Even if you were to hook up a giant pipe to that cooking fireplace, it would still pull in loads of room air, but then you also have a giant pipe letting cold air into your house.

No matter what the heat output of the fireplace, the hot room air will be moved up through the flue and out of the house. You can't stop that from happening without designing a high efficiency zero clearance fireplace or free standing wood stove.

On the other hand, indeed not *all* the heat goes up thru the chimney. At least a small fraction stays in the home when it's burning. So I have to adi that the title is not wrong.

Unfortunately, homes with fireplaces loose that much heat during burning and when not burning (! The latter are the majority of the hours in a year..), that homes with fireplaces use more energy to be heated than homes without fireplaces. See that (peer reviewed) article I mentioned a while back.

You are spot on about most homes today. My kids think I am nuts when I point out that most newer homes don't even have a chimney of any sort. If the hearth is missing, I wouldn't want to live there.
No doubt I’m from western Pa too actually. Always grew up in homes with fireplaces/wood stoves fourtnately

Reactions: Prof
On the other hand, indeed not *all* the heat goes up thru the chimney. At least a small fraction stays in the home when it's burning. So I have to adi that the title is not wrong.

Unfortunately, homes with fireplaces loose that much heat during burning and when not burning (! The latter are the majority of the hours in a year..), that homes with fireplaces use more energy to be heated than homes without fireplaces. See that (peer reviewed) article I mentioned a while back.
Are much is lost if u have a damper
And glass
Doors though ? (( when not in use ))

Fireplace dampers leak like crazy. They don't help much.
Glass doors are better, depending on how well they seal.

Reactions: WoodBurner777
Now if I wanted to commute daily to work in my 1969 Mustang Fastback, I'm sure I'd hear all sorts of arguments against doing so. But I just want to drive it on the weekends. I stand behind what I said in my original post.:)

Now if I wanted to commute daily to work in my 1969 Mustang Fastback, I'm sure I'd hear all sorts of arguments against doing so. But I just want to drive it on the weekends. I stand behind what I said in my original post.:)
Oh I like classic cars. But I don't choose to drive any of mine if going on long trips or anything. The difference I see is a classic car in most cases will get you there. A fireplace generally won't heat a house to what is considered a comfortable temperature by today's standards.

302?

We had power out for 4 days, and relied on the fireplace as the only heat source. It did keep the pipes from freezing. We spent most of the time in the living room next to the fire. Cooked on it too. Just don't burn the chicken.

I don't want any misunderstandings! I wish. I was making an analogy with my by big, old stone fireplace with lots of inefficient btus to driving a classic car with lots of inefficient horsepower. They're both fun to have, but not for daily use.
No worries! Both make my tail wag, for different reasons 🤣

My daily driver is a Kia and have a 2020 EPA stove - but I wouldn't mind a Boss 302 and center chimney fireplace.

Reactions: ctyankee
What is the percentage of fireplaces there at Sturbridge. Here we have OldWorldWI, representing around 1850. Some of the more affluent had fireplaces, and stoves. Those with less means had a small free standing stove and a cook stove. The farm house here, 1846, had a cook stove, parlor stove, and possibly some type of coal gravity system. But no fireplace (that came much later, more for decoration than to heat with). I know where the stoves sat because of the small burned out holes in the floor boards.

Last edited: