Altered Leafblower trick

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

PAV1

Hearth Supporter
Feb 11, 2010
Northern, NJ
So I want to do the leafblower trick but I have no desire/nerve to climb 25+ feet on my very very steep roof. I have a cb1200 insert and was wondering if it is possible to run some type of a hose through a window and hook up to the chimney cleanout? Obviously the leafblower would sit right outside the window at ground level.

Thoughts? Ideas?

That's what we just did. We bought some metal tubing and ran it out the window. It didn't get everything, though, it seems. It might be better for preventative cleaning as opposed to when there already is an issue.

Why dont you think it got everything? would think there is less distamce to pull in my case..probably 15 feet

PAV1 said:
Why dont you think it got everything? would think there is less distamce to pull in my case..probably 15 feet

Because he is still getting a vacuum shut down.

We unhooked our vent and from the inside of our house did the leaf blower thing, but had it blowing from the inside to the outside instead of sucking from the outside in.

(we are missing the attachment for sucking)

bbfarm said:
We unhooked our vent and from the inside of our house did the leaf blower thing, but had it blowing from the inside to the outside instead of sucking from the outside in.

This seems like it could/would be messy??

Did you record it? Or could you next time?

Dont think my Wife would let me even run ours inside. . . ? ? ?

It wasn't messy at all. I used duct tape to attach the pipe to the back of the stove, and I ran it out the closest window into the yard. If it had worked, it would have been great. It did suck out a lot of junk, but it didn't clear the clog between the combustion motor and the ash trap.

PAV1 said:
So I want to do the leafblower trick but I have no desire/nerve to climb 25+ feet on my very very steep roof. I have a cb1200 insert and was wondering if it is possible to run some type of a hose through a window and hook up to the chimney cleanout? Obviously the leafblower would sit right outside the window at ground level.

Thoughts? Ideas?

Don't be scared, I climb up on my 2 story roof.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9WDGm9QuaUI

DexterDay said:
bbfarm said:

Not messy at all. i don't think I explained it very well. We stuck the blower part into the vent that goes outside from inside the house and blew it out - the same way the exhaust travels. the stove was disconnected from the vent.

So you just blew out the piping, bbfarm?

bbfarm said:
DexterDay said:
bbfarm said:

Not messy at all. i don't think I explained it very well. We stuck the blower part into the vent that goes outside from inside the house and blew it out - the same way the exhaust travels. the stove was disconnected from the vent.

Got ya... That sounds better than what I had envisioned. ;-P

There has been pics posted of some "Oops" moments. Whether it was putting the hose on the wrong end of the shop vac, or........ :lol: Ash ends up everywhere :lol:

mkpanache said:
It did suck out a lot of junk, but it didn't clear the clog
between the combustion motor and the ash trap.

The crap gets packed in tight in the ports up
behind those ash traps.
Use a small hammer n tap back of stove
above ash traps until nothing falls.
(you may have to tap alot and firmly but just keep doing it
til nothing more drops)
Cut about a foot of small diameter
hose, duct tape that to vac and use as far in
ash traps as you can reach w it.
Pull the blower, scrape/vac the area it sits in and
as far up towards the ash traps that you can
reach then vac as needed. Bottle brush might work
well for both areas. Once a month if dealing with
dirty pellets is how I've been doing it since stove was new.

edit: I just read through your thread about your stove and
see that you have a good arsenal of cleaning tools.
Mine is installed the same way up the chimney. I've got
1 foot of 3" vent from stove to a 4" T to 4" ss flex vent that goes up
about 15 feet. Damper isn't blocked in my fireplace.
Top of chimney is blocked. I installed an OAK after having the
stove for a couple of years due to a cold draft across the
floor. The OAK fixed that. I've never had the #2 blink issue. (knock on wood)
When using dirty burning pellets I take extra care to clear
the entire area behind those ash traps. It's a narrow area and
stuff really packs solid in there if you're burning dirty pellets.

Hi, Zena. The top part of your post, he has done. We have an adapter for the ash vac. The OAK, we haven't done yet. Maybe not burning NEWPs will take care of this? Mark is on his way home with Okies.

smoke show said:
PAV1 said:

Thoughts? Ideas?

Why don't you come down to Cleveland...You can climb up and do mine...I have beer!!! ;-P

Eatonpcat said:
smoke show said:
PAV1 said:

Thoughts? Ideas?

Why don't you come down to Cleveland...You can climb up and do mine...I have beer!!! ;-P

I like beer. I tried for Cleveland, but I overshot and ended up in sunny Florida. ;-)

smoke show said:
Eatonpcat said:
smoke show said:
PAV1 said:

Thoughts? Ideas?

I like beer. I tried for Cleveland, but I overshot and ended up in sunny Florida. ;-)

I just got back from a week in Fort Lauderdale...Hope you're having a great time!!!!

Eatonpcat said:
smoke show said:
Eatonpcat said:
smoke show said:
PAV1 said:

Thoughts? Ideas?

I just got back from a week in Fort Lauderdale...Hope you're having a great time!!!!

Just a few days in disney with the fam.

All u pigs steer clear of my stash. :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.