Am I Crazy To sell The Isle Royale ??

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Chrism

Feeling the Heat
Hearth Supporter
Oct 8, 2009
Eastern PA
I have a Quadra Fire Isle Royale and i love the stove but I am thinking of selling it to go with a Quadra Fire Voyageur Wood Insert or the Voyageur Grand Wood Insert. Does anyone have the Voyageur Wood Insert and do they like it ? Or am I Nuts to sell the Isle Royale to goto this ? Thanks

IIRC at one point you were offered $3500 for the IR and said no. Keep that beauty for more heat, even when the power is out.

Yikes, what makes you want an insert? Is floorspace that big of an issue?

Inserts get a bad wrap mainly because so many of them are installed poorly with no block off plate or insulation behind them. We have many customers who easily heat their houses with inserts. And some inserts still put off good heat without the blower. And honestly if a free standing stove is sitting in a fireplace you are not going to get any more heat off of it than you would an insert possibly even less due to the lack of the convective jacket.

Because i love the wall set up and look of the stove

Attachments

• Am I Crazy To sell The Isle Royale ??
    QDF-woodINS-VoyageurGrand-960x456.jpg
    100.2 KB · Views: 182
How about creating a similar hearth for the IR?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

When i did it
IIRC at one point you were offered $3500 for the IR and said no. Keep that beauty for more heat, even when the power is out.
I have a hard time remembering what i had for breakfast dont remember the $3500.

Trying to figure out why you would want to put everything back, you did all that work to have an alcove install and get rid of the fireplace. I guess each to their own.

View attachment 183626
Because it was a fireplace, hated the brick, cold air would come in when wasnt in use . When i did the project they didnt have these nuce looking inserts. Are they that much less efficient than the IR ?

You are sticking a box of fire into a hole verses it being able to radiate freely, you are going to lose efficiency no matter how much you insulate the hole.

To top it off most inserts are designed for masonry fireplaces, for your setup you would have to look at a ZC fireplace like the Quad 7100.

Good point. Is there a separate fireplace in the house where the insert would go or is the thought to directly replace the IR with the Quad in the same location? If same location, mellow is correct, it would need to be replaced with a ZC fireplace and there could be some chimney mating and alignment issues.

Ok forget it ill stick with IR

Status
Not open for further replies.