Am I making a mistake?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Buc White

Sep 13, 2012
Connecticut
I'm brand new to the forums and would like to say hello to all!

I recently purchased a quad classic bay 1200 and am getting installed on 9/25 (my first). The stove is going in my basement to suplement some of my heating bill. I did a decent amount of research and last night thought to myself, did i purchase the wrong stove? Should I have went with a Harman?

I understand that all stoves have their problems eventually, but if you keep it clean and maintain it properly you shouldn't have alot of problems. Am I buying a durable and reliable product? I also understand that when you read a review you don't know threir cleaning habits and brand of fuel. I just want to make sure I am making the right decision.

Welcome! That is a great stove, you've done fine. Congratulations. It's well built, easy to clean and maintain. Actually, much less frequent cleanings are needed with this unit. I only cleaned ours every other week during milder weather and once a week during the dead of winter. Put it on a digital thermostat like a Lux unit and enjoy waking up to a warm house.

My first venture into the pellet world was with a Quad. I ran the tar out of mine and she just purred along(I over worked and over fired it on the cold days)! We don't hear many complaints on them and the people that own them seem very happy with them. Dandy lil stoves and run very well.

Ya done good IMHO!

eh, dont lose any sleep over it....apples vs oranges....

Welcome. I am now almost one year into my Quad CB 1200. The price difference was what convinced me to go with the Quad and not a Harman. I have not been disappointed. The best advice I can give is to try as many different pellet brands as you can. Don't buy a ton until you have a good idea of what works in your stove. I spent last winter buying 10 bags at a time to test.
Next best advice: ask any questions here. I have learned so much from this forum. And remember there are no dumb questions, only dumb answerers.

Welcome! That is a great stove, you've done fine. Congratulations. It's well built, easy to clean and maintain. Actually, much less frequent cleanings are needed with this unit. I only cleaned ours every other week during milder weather and once a week during the dead of winter. Put it on a digital thermostat like a Lux unit and enjoy waking up to a warm house.

Which Lux would you suggest?

don't know about the stove, but there have been plenty of threads here about placing stoves in the basement and then getting the heat upstairs, or not getting as much heat as expected.

maybe you have it figured out and have accounted for all the variables, if not, do some research. good luck.

Classic Bay is a great heater. But as Vinny said. A basement install will only help marginally if its uninsulated.

I have had a Classic Bay for years. Bought another new stove last year to replace it (Quad only does On/Off) and I am going to be leaving the Quad in its place. The heat output for my Classic Bay is amazing. Blows stoves that are closely rated, out of the water.

Classic Bay is a great heater. But as Vinny said. A basement install will only help marginally if its uninsulated.

I have had a Classic Bay for years. Bought another new stove last year to replace it (Quad only does On/Off) and I am going to be leaving the Quad in its place. The heat output for my Classic Bay is amazing. Blows stoves that are closely rated, out of the water.

Sorry. On/off as opposed to what? Is there something better for the money?

When the t-stat is satisfied on the Quad, it will shut down till heat is needed again (considered Auto On/Off).

Some other stoves out there have On/Off and High/Low. Where the stove goes into a "Pilot" fire (Low) and maintains the small flame until heat is needed again.

Not a real big deal. But sometimes you will get a mis-fire, where the stove wont start (only had 3 in several years and it was mainly my fault/ feed gate closed to much/ to little fuel for start up ) and may (allegedly) cause premature igintor failure.

Last year, it started every time it was askes to. I also run it on Low 90% of the time with feed gate open all the way. And I heat about 2,200 sq ft (Ranch) w/ stive centrally located.

Status
Not open for further replies.