Am I mearsuring flue temp or top of stove temp.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

dakotarnk

Hearth Supporter
Aug 30, 2007
With the placement of my magnetic thermometer on the pipe that comes out of the firebox, But not on the class A chimney, Is this the same as top of stove temp? What should this be for a normal burn, What would max safe temp be? I often run around the 600 to 700 range .

Attachments

• RSF 003.jpg
    RSF 003.jpg
    38.4 KB · Views: 404
  • RSF 001.jpg
    RSF 001.jpg
    49.4 KB · Views: 365
This will be an intresting thread, I also have the RSF Opel 2 Fireplace and was wondering what the ideal temp should be. This is my first year burning in it. I have read alot of folks comments on how it is right in the manuals where to check the temp and what it should be, but not so in the Opel manual. If it helps, My fireplace runs just as yours. I get regular temp readings of 600-650 in the same spot as your thermometer, and I also keep a thermometer just below the upper door hinge and when checking both at the same time, when the top reads 600-650, the temp at the face of the fireplace usually reads in the 350 degree range. I also wondered though what is considered "ideal". I'll look forward to hearing from other Opel 2 owners.

If that is single wall pipe (and I guess it to be), you are reading the surface temp of your stack. Surface x 2 = internal flue gas temp (approx.). At 600-700 ° F , that is going to translate into 1200-1400 ° F . That is definately on the HIGH side of things. Check your manual for proper operating temps, but as a rule of thumb, I would try to keep that number south of 500 ° F when cruising.

I recieved an email from RSF saying that the fireplace is rated a 1000° continuous. I Would think with the pipe on top you can just about figure it to be same as stove top temp since it is basicly a continuation of the firebox, Just a guess, I do think it is probably the hottest spot on the fireplace.

dakotarnk said:
I recieved an email from RSF saying that the fireplace is rated a 1000° continuous.

I would be cautious in assuming that "1000F continuous" translates into the reading you are getting on the stove pipe. It really is not a continuation of the firebox because of the EPA stuff that is inside. The firebox gets direct flame/heat. The stove pipe does not (or shouldn't) after the exhaust passes through the re-burner.

I am pretty sure that the MFG of the pipe would tell you to slow down if you are continuously getting 1400F internal stack temps.

Edit: one thing is for sure---you shouldn't have any creosote build up. :lol:

Would You agree that that is probably the hottest spot on the fireplace other then inside.

dakotarnk said:
Would You agree that that is probably the hottest spot on the fireplace other then inside.

No. During cruising, I can consistently maintain my flue gas temp lower than stove top. And if I see a 1400F stove top, I'm gonna be REAL nervous.

Status
Not open for further replies.