Amazon: Super Splitter by Fiskars on sale for $33.50

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I got home for lunch around 11:30. At 11:31 I was admiring the thing. It IS sharp. It is Orange, so it goes well with the Chainsaw. It appears to be well made and well thought out.

I immediately grabbed a small round with no knots in it. <<note: i'm sitting inside right now and i won't be going outside in the heat again today, lol, so I can't verify wood species. >> This round was about 14" tall and diameter was <10" (that's pretty darn small). I'm not blaming the Fiskars yet, but I took 9 swings to get it into four splits. I guess I need practice.

First impression is disappointment. I think it's akin to everyone telling you that a movie is awesome. You go in with high expectations and are let down because it doesn't meet them. I think that this is likely a GOOD tool and that I was expecting a GREAT tool. One round doesn't make a good test, though, so when I get to it, I'll pull out my newly polished axe, my 6lber, my 8lber, my TruTemper splitter, and this Fiskars. After I feel comfortable with my Fiskars skills I'll make a go at a variety of wood and do the comparison right.

Danno, you gotta remember it is an axe and not a hydraulic splitter. I've read the reviews also and was quite skeptical. Didn't stop me from ordering one. I bet it is a great axe that will work as well or better than any other axe in the right situation. There are some rounds I have out back, that I won't even try splitting with an axe....... even using the holy grail Fiskars.

Status
Not open for further replies.