Ambient Technologies WWTA Wireless Prog. Thermostat

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

richkorn

Minister of Fire
Jul 28, 2008
SE CT
My stove (Lopi Leyden) will be installed next Tuesday and I don't want to run the wiring to hook up the tstat that comes with it. I've read up on the Skytech ones and also really like the wall-mount Ambient Technologies WWTA (or WWTD) Models.

There's a handheld wireless available from Lopi (probably some sort of rebadged Skytech or something) and the receiver connects directly to the two tstat terminals inside the stove--but I don't want a hand-held...

Does anyone know if this AT WWTA would easily install the same way, just the two terminals wires to the stove without any other 24v converter or anything else like that???

http://www.ambienttechnologies.com/productInfo/display.php?product=50

The WMTA can be had for < $100

Thanks!

richkorn said:
My stove (Lopi Leyden) will be installed next Tuesday and I don't want to run the wiring to hook up the tstat that comes with it. I've read up on the Skytech ones and also really like the wall-mount Ambient Technologies WWTA (or WWTD) Models.

There's a handheld wireless available from the Manufacturer (probably some sort of rebadged Skytech or something) and the receiver connects directly to the two tstat terminals inside the stove.

Does anyone know if this AT WWTA would easily install the same way, just the two terminals wires to the stove without any other 24v converter or anything else like that???

Thanks!

Nice looking units....why don't you shoot them an email or call the tech support number (800-398-6195) and explain what you'd like to use it for, and see what they say. If they will work for our stoves, post the info back on the forum.

I already emailed them and haven't received a reply yet. I'll post when I do. The literature for these two tstat models say support millivolt or 24 volt.

richkorn said:
I already emailed them and haven't received a reply yet. I'll post when I do. The literature for these two tstat models say support millivolt or 24 volt.

Based on that, theoretically they should work.

richkorn said:

There's a handheld wireless available from the Manufacturer (probably some sort of rebadged Skytech or something) and the receiver connects directly to the two tstat terminals inside the stove.

Thanks!

WOW!!! Another remote to lose!!!!! Why would anyone want a wireless remote with a pellet stove????? You gonna temp surf while you channel surf, talk on the cell phone, play guitar hero, and text your girlfriend on your Blackberry??? I must be gettin' old.

WOW!!! Another remote to lose!!!!! Why would anyone want a wireless remote with a pellet stove????? You gonna temp surf while you channel surf, talk on the cell phone, play guitar hero, and text your girlfriend on your Blackberry??? I must be gettin' old.

You didn't read my post and look at the link for the tstat, this is a WALL MOUNTED tstat :exclaim:

i.e., it mounts on the wall but there are no wires connected to it like my boiler honeywell's. ;-)

Also, I very rarely talk on my cell phone, I play DRUMS (http://www.geocities.com/atfmusic), I'm married, don't care for a Blackberry, and I'm old too!!!

GET IT??? ;-P

richkorn said:

You didn't read my post and look at the link for the tstat, this is a WALL MOUNTED tstat :exclaim:

i.e., it mounts on the wall but there are no wires connected to it like my boiler honeywell's. ;-)

Also, I very rarely talk on my cell phone, I play DRUMS (http://www.geocities.com/atfmusic), I'm married, don't care for a Blackberry, and I'm old too!!!

GET IT??? ;-P

Did not mean to offend, most humble apologies. BTW, you are correct, I generally don't click links. Not familiar with them new-fangled things up here in woods - booger land. "old too", or "too old"?

Keep us posted on which t-stat you get, I have the same stove and want to do the same thing. Stove installed about a month ago and working great so far. Worst part of the install was lifting that 400# monster out of the crate.

xpellet freakx said:
click on literature ,,who should i believe you or my lying eyes.
Click on Literature. Read brochure. Get to page 5 and read that the WWTA and WWTD are "Wall Mounted Remotes". Or click on Owners Manual and read the details on how to install a WWTA or WWTD on a wall.

You could punish your eyes for lying to you by poking a sharp stick in them. That would teach 'em.

xpellet freakx said:
no really, :bug: it comes with a remote
No kidding. That's the point - it's a wall-mounted remote. What it doesn't come with is a handheld remote which was your original issue. If you think it does, where does this say that (this is a screenshot of pg 5 of that Literature link you referred to; not that it's relevant as the only thing the OP was asking about was the wall-mounted remote which you took exception to)?
WWTD.jpg

When I couldn't read what was in front of me, I got progressive lenses. Helped a lot.

xpellet freakx said:

xpellet, we don't get that channel this far away from the city

Richkorn and Digger,

I'm not sure who's eyes should be poked out by a sharp stick, but the literature at the company website DOES show a hand operating a "remote control". While it may have a wall bracket for a remote unit too, you CAN get the type of remote like for a TV, etc.

If you guys are arguing over which pic to look at, the handheld remote was in the very first pic of the literature, and the wall mount was shown farther down.

In the end, who really cares???? If the guy wants another remote, that's up to him.

xpellet freakx said:

I would believe that the "Remote" that the hand is holding is not the unit that I am talking about.

Granted, it is a wireless tstat, and therefore working "remotely". but the WWTA/WWTD is, and is designed, as a wall mounted wireless tstat. Now if you don't want to mount it and prefer holding it, you can do that i suppose.

Again, this link below is the unit (WWTA). It comes with 2 pieces, a wall mounted xmitter, and a receiver unit. The 'Remote' that the hand is holding in the PDF Brochure is a different 'wireless remote (hand-held)'

Either way, the Manufacturer never contacted me back. Skytech did get back to me the same day though with a response about their's.

Oh, and thanks for all the responses. It looks like it should work just fine.

slink said:
They work by radio signals and require battery power to work. I have installed a few in gas stove applications and they work very well until the batteries die and the customer calls. Just remember to check the batteries first if you find the stove won't turn on.

slink - would you have a preference of either a receiver that plugs in (110v) or one that runs on batts? I was thinking i'd plug the stove into a surge protector strip anyway, so the receiver could plug into that also if I get a 110v one and not one that runs on batts.

Thanks!

richkorn said:
slink - would you have a preference of either a receiver that plugs in (110v) or one that runs on batts? I was thinking i'd plug the stove into a surge protector strip anyway, so the receiver could plug into that also if I get a 110v one and not one that runs on batts.
I'd go with the AC version - if the power's out you're going to be running it off of a generator or UPS anyway so the added load for the t-stat isn't a big deal and you're also likely to be running it in manual mode then anyway so as to save the igniter load on your UPS or generator. Batteries don't get you anything in this installation and cause a potential problem area (e.g. like Slink said, batteries run down and you think something else is wrong).

richkorn said:
slink said:
They work by radio signals and require battery power to work. I have installed a few in gas stove applications and they work very well until the batteries die and the customer calls. Just remember to check the batteries first if you find the stove won't turn on.

Thanks!

I would probably stick to the battery version. From what I have seen you should only go through one or two sets of batteries a year. Just make sure you have a fresh set. The batteries aren't using power all the time just during turn on or turn off switching.

slink said:
I would probably stick to the battery version. From what I have seen you should only go through one or two sets of batteries a year. Just make sure you have a fresh set. The batteries aren't using power all the time just during turn on or turn off switching.
How does it "know" to turn on or off if it's not using power to be "listening" for the signal?

The wall unit is the transmitter which sends the signal to the receiver that is wired to the stove. The transmitter sends the signal and the receiver powers the internal contacts to turn on the stove. Basicly only used power during switching the contacts on or off. Yes it does use some power "listening" for the signal but the main power draw is during switching.

Status
Not open for further replies.