And Then It Happens To You...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
BrotherBart said:
What caught me by surprise is that I have started fires in the stoves here in July or August smoke checking changes and draft has always just taken off.

Some of that not doing what I tell people to do stuff got me. The high pressure system and no wind never crossed my mind.
Sounds like u have to be a weatherman to start a fire.

Happens to me at least once a year. (Cold starts every day for me.) I don't burn newspaper anymore, unless that happens.

epd166 said:
...I lite the fire, left the door open slightly, and walked away...

OH...no, no, no! :shut:

Dang, after 40 years of burning wood, I'm not superstitious, but I am not going to say it (it has never happened to me) No, I didn't say it. :coolgrin:

I am still a newb so I can understand it happening to me.
On the other hand being a newbie I still find it very interesting and stay around and watch it start up.

I have a tall chimney and stiff winds 98% of the time.
But I thought you always used a wad of news paper to kick the draft up a bit.

but there have been a few dead still nights when the draft did act weird.
Had to keep the door open for a long time to keep things right.

Yeah, this happened to me last year a few times as a newb. With 30+ feet of Class A, if that thing gets cold it really needs some convincing to get rid of the downward draft. I tried the newspaper at the base of the flue, but that still left the room full of smoke. I think I have it down now with the propane torch. If the ESW 30 is cold, I put in the propane torch for a few minutes to get the heat running up the flue. That really does the trick for me. Still get a few puffs of smoke in the room, which freaks the wife out.

This happenes to me once a year as well...have learned my lesson I think now.
Now, when I open the door to a cold stove, I just use my little butane fire starter to see if I have a draft going up or coming down the chimney....if its coming down, I usually have good luck by opening the door to the screen porch a tad (about 6 feet away) and then I just crack the stove door open for about a minute.....don't light anything yet.....after a minute or so, I check the draft and it usually starts drafting up the chimney.

Ha! Happened this morning. 40 °F , overcast, still. Not really cold enough for a fire, but I'm sitting around recovering from surgery and needed something to do. I often burn at this temp and it's usually fine. Today I opted for opening the window by the stove instead of stuffing in paper. Cleared up the problem in 10 seconds.

i used to take a hairdryer to the stovepipe above the stove just sit it on the stove and let it heat the pipe itself for a while usually that was enough to make the flue start to move a little , then a firestarter block in the stove then kindling and its off to the races

Been there, had it happen. Any temp above 50 is high risk, 45-50 is medium risk.

Have to open up the doors and toss in a few sheets of burning news paper to get it drafting. Of just let it go out and light up the whole house fan. Neither is good.

Just happened to me....loaded up, left to wash up and it was like a fog machine....someone posted up a few days ago, what safty eqpt to have.....fire ext...quick blast...look on hearth.com....find BB post and proceed....thanks BB! Hope that's my only issue!

Status
Not open for further replies.