And they all fall down!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

EatenByLimestone

Staff member
I just looked out the back window at my stacks. I have (5) 10 ft x 6 ft stacks that the ends splayed out today. It looks like I'll be restacking. Bad thing is, they are surrounded by the area I had not gotten to in regards to dog doo cleanup...

Matt

6ft tall? Geesh. I could never make that work. Mine are maybe 5ft max, that seems tall enough.

Sorry about your luck. let the weather take care of the dog poo for a month and then restack.

EatenByLimestone said:
I just looked out the back window at my stacks. I have (5) 10 ft x 6 ft stacks that the ends splayed out today. It looks like I'll be restacking. Bad thing is, they are surrounded by the area I had not gotten to in regards to dog doo cleanup...

Matt

That sucks Matt.

Zap

Been there, done that, that sux. Ah well look at it as exercise, and time outside. It could be worse. Certainly better than shoveling snow.

Shawn

Sounds like a nasty job Matt. One more reason we stack not so high. We usually stack around 4 1/2' and that shrinks down to 4' or less by fall (we split in the spring). We don't have a problem with our stacks falling over.

Nothing worse than doing the same job twice........

But look on the bright side, at least you have a enough wood to make a pile big enough to fall over!

I went out to measure and I can fit both of my stack groups in parallel lines. I currently have them at right angles. This should save me room overall. This may not be a bad thing. It will be a lot of work though.

Matt

I do two rows, 6-8 ft high. the rows have a 4 inch space between them. In the stack occasionally I put a long split across the rows to tie the 2 rows together. It's very stable, never had it tip over.

Tom

I'm with Tom - two parallel rows with cross sticks. I just stack them in flush with one side and trim them off with the saw later. Works well for me. My stacks are 4' high (top of hill) to 8' (bottom of hill) by 15' long.

Must be a NE PA thing Tom?

Good luck,

Bill

After several months of seasoning my wood looks like some drunk was stacking the wood . . . either that or I'm trying to pay homage to the Leaning Tower of Pisa.

Status
Not open for further replies.