1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

Another 1st fire of the season...

Post in 'The Hearth Room - Wood Stoves and Fireplaces' started by KaptJaq, Oct 12, 2012.

1. KaptJaq

KaptJaq Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Long Island, NY
    Never got out of the low 50s yesterday or today, last night was in the low 40s, tonight is forecast for the upper 30s. No sun and some damp showers all day today. The house is already at 65°. Sounds like a good excuse for the first fire of the season and a little sipping whiskey in front of it tonight...

Img_1499_b.jpg

A good burning season to all...

KaptJaq

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. raybonz

raybonz Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Carver, MA.
    Beautiful insert, hearth, tile and fire!

Ray
    mfglickman likes this.
  3. James02

James02 Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    L-Town...N.Y.
    +1
  4. tfdchief

tfdchief Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Tuscola, IL
    Gorgeous hearth. Looks warm and cozy. Enjoy.
  5. BrowningBAR

BrowningBAR Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Doylestown, PA

How is the VC working out for you?
  6. My Oslo heats my home

My Oslo heats my home Minister of Fire

Loc:
    South Shore, MA
    it's in the mid 40's here right now. I came home from work to a lit stove, my wife had a chill. Looks like we will enjoy the heat tonight into tomorrow for the quick chill.
  7. raybonz

raybonz Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Carver, MA.
    Burned today and 2 other days so far.. Just small fires to take the chill off.. Tonight may be our 1st frost night! Stay warm my friends!

Ray
  8. Slow1

Slow1 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Eastern MA
    We've had a couple small fires here too - mostly 'taking the chill off' - not sure if it is so wise though as the family will expect it to be this warm all winter (again) ha! I am looking forward to the frost tonight as a chance to burn a 'real' fire in the morning, hoping the house will cool off enough to justify something more than a couple small splits and handful of kindling.
    raybonz likes this.
  9. KaptJaq

KaptJaq Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Long Island, NY
    First season the fan assembly was a little noisy. Contacted the dealer and he told me it was normal. Contacted VC via the web contact form. When I described the noise to them they agreed it was excessive and wrong. They contacted the area distributor and had the dealer ship me a new fan assembly.

With good wood and a small fan to help the circulation it heats the 1,640sf main floor of the house well for our normal winter days. During extreme cold spells I help it along with the Godin downstairs. It gets easy 8 hour burns when I stuff the box with oak. I am happy with the overall functionality, quality, and looks of the unit.

KaptJaq
  10. corey21

corey21 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Soutwest VA
    Nice setup.
  11. BrotherBart

BrotherBart Hearth.com LLC Mid-Atlantic Division Staff Member

Loc:
    Northern Virginia
    Just fired up for the first time here. Burning the dust off since we have our first frost warning tonight.
    tfdchief and corey21 like this.
  12. pen

pen There are some who call me...mod. Staff Member

Loc:
    N.E. Penna
    first re-load of the evening fire tonight, and first decent sized load of wood in the stove considering this forecast: Tonight Widespread frost after 11pm. Otherwise, clear, with a low around 23. Northwest wind around 5 mph becoming light and variable in the evening. NWS

Just remembered a few mins ago to run out and unhook the garden hose.

pen
  13. raybonz

raybonz Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Carver, MA.
    Similar forecast here Penn.. How's the 30 been running? I see Englander has some new stoves in the corral..

Ray
  14. pen

pen There are some who call me...mod. Staff Member

Loc:
    N.E. Penna
    Runs better and better every year for some reason :p

Hope the T-5 will treat you well again.
  15. raybonz

raybonz Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Carver, MA.
    Must be the 30 not the operator that's getting better lol.. I expect the T-5 will be OK too.. I still like the 30 NC and feel it's the best bang for your buck stove around even at regular price.. Do you run a blower? I find it makes a big difference on the T-5, so good that I leave it off this time of year or the T-5 will cook me out of the house..

Ray