Another Amazing Burn in the Osburn 2400i

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

dafattkidd

Minister of Fire
Dec 11, 2007
Long Island
I started my morning fire on a huge bed of coals. I packed the stove with oak and locust at 6am. At 9:15pm I still had coals for a restart. The stove was just below 200* but this is what the firebox looked like. Man over 15 hours and still a decent amount of coals. This thing is a beast. Threw some kindling and a few small splits and in 20 minutes its up to 420* and cruising. I know its no blaze king, but I'm thankful for this burn tube beast.

Attachments

• Thumba_2011-12-29_21-50-35.jpg
    Thumba_2011-12-29_21-50-35.jpg
    36.8 KB · Views: 479
Sounds pretty impressive to me!

Not hijacking and happy with the Osborns burn,but this morning I raked my coal bed forward after a 16 hour burn,one oak split full throttle and 600 degrees real quick,I'm happy. Good burning with the Osborn.

Very nice DaFattKidd that sounds like a good stove burn! What a great feeling you get from a long burn its kinda like christmas every day.

Pete

This insert has proven to be a fantastic asset to our home. We are very thankful for the comfort and savings wood heat has provided for our family. This time last year i purchased the Osburn 2400 and this unit is a perfect fit for our application. Its a little oversized for our house, but that's just what we need to compensate for the draftiness.

That's impressive! I was pretty happy when I achieved my first 12 hour burn not long ago. I'm a new burner as of September this year and have successfully been able to keep hot coals for at least 12 hours since then! Feels good doesn't it? Way to go!

DaFattKidd said:
This insert has proven to be a fantastic asset to our home. We are very thankful for the comfort and savings wood heat has provided for our family. This time last year i purchased the Osburn 2400 and this unit is a perfect fit for our application. Its a little oversized for our house, but that's just what we need to compensate for the draftiness.

DaFattKidd,
Sounds like you've learned to love your new Osburn 2400 insert :) I am a dealer and the 2400 is mainly the insert I try to get my customers to purchase, providing they have the proper dimensions for it. The biggest reasoning for a larger unit is for "wood storage", (that's right, wood storage). The older generation of wood burners used an underfire draft to burn the wood, much like a blacksmiths forge, the oxygen rich burn at the bottom would cause the wood above to heat up- driving all of the moisture and creosote up the chimney which also took up a percentage of the heat energy to do this, the more wood that was present in the chamber, the more creosote. The new hi-efficiency units actually, but not not technically, use secondary air from the above air tubes to burn your logs from the top down, (and keep your door glass clean),-- In fact it really doesn't "burn" all of the wood but rather heats up the wood in it's "crematory" style baking chamber, squeezing the gasses out of it, and it's the gasses and smoke that's actually doing most of the burning, that is why the bricks and chimney stays so clean. As a "biomass" heater you actually have a gas burner. This style of burn is 180deg. out of phase with the old style of burning, why couldn't they have dreamed this up 6000 yrs ago?

What I'm getting at is that your unit is probably not too large, since the wood is actually burning from the top down, what you have is "wood storage" - the bigger the unit the more storage for a longer burn :).

Due to the advice I received from the forum, I upgraded from a smaller 1.7 cf firebox to the 3.2 cf box of the Osburn. I burned in the smaller unit for a year, now I've been burning in this insert for just about a year. It's a very significant difference. I am very glad I listened to BeGreen and bought the largest unit I could fit in my fireplace.

DaFattKidd said:
Due to the advice I received from the forum, I upgraded from a smaller 1.7 cf firebox to the 3.2 cf box of the Osburn. I burned in the smaller unit for a year, now I've been burning in this insert for just about a year. It's a very significant difference. I am very glad I listened to BeGreen and bought the largest unit I could fit in my fireplace.

Great burns.
A big firebox is sweet for overnight burns.
I envy your wood, oak & locust. Primo stuff :)

Status
Not open for further replies.