Another Basement Install Question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jwhjr

Hearth Supporter
Feb 22, 2008
RI
The previous owner had a wood stove in the unfinished basement. We finished the basement and now want to put a wood stove in. The pipe that comes into the basement sticks out into the room about 2-3". We put up a 2x3 wall with sheetrock. There is a 2" space from pipe to stud/sheetrock all around the pipe. Do I need to make the hole/space bigger to 6". I'm having a hard time finding an answer. I'm thinking just cut the hole bigger to be safe. Any ideas.
Thanks,
jwhjr

I do not have code information but from what I recall on single wall black pipe it must have an 18" clearance from combustibles.

Mine is about 18" from the ceiling so I put a heat sheild deflector on top of it for a little extra protection.

6" does not sound like enough on an uninsulated pipe. Is it going into a clay liner? Pictures help greatly with questions like this.

Is this pipe sticking out the wall just regular 24 ga stove pipe? Or is it an approved through wall thimble? If stove pipe, it doesn't meet the clearance and if it's an insulated thimble it might, but you would have to find out what type of thimble and what it's clearances are.

I know the pipe isn't regualr stove pipe. I think it is chimney pipe it looks the same as the stuff on the outside. I don't know if it is a thimble or chimney pipe. I included a picture. I took the trim from around the hole off. I plan on using double wall pipe. I don't mind making the hole bigger but if I don't have to. Thanks for the help.

Attachments

• P1000576.jpg
    P1000576.jpg
    16.2 KB · Views: 233
Status
Not open for further replies.