Another Big E question:

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

flamegrabber

Apr 13, 2008
Northshore, Ma.
Intsalled my new Big E stove yesterday nad have it running.

The heated air coming from the stove is hot from one side of the stove but not so hot from the other?

Is this normal?

Facing the front of the stove the air is hotter coming from the from the right side than the left.

Thanks,

FG.

Yes Buildingmaint,

Seems the air coming out of the left side tubes is cooler than the air coming out of the right side tubes, facing the front of the stove.

Also, does you stove hold 120 lbs or 140 lbs of pellets. Breckwell claims in the advertisement that the Big E holds 140 lbs, but my new Big E stove holds only 120. 3 bags exactly to the top of the hopper.

Thanks guy.

FG.

buildingmaint said:
Are you refering to the air coming from the heat exchange tubes?

sure you can put 140 lbs in it , but they will be piled way high above the sides lol, no only holds 120 lbs, don't know where they got lbs. I don't know what to say about the warm / cold air thing, only thing that would make sense would be that one side is blocked some way , but you can feel cool air

I would suggest putting a thermometer on both sides to see witch side is heating /or not heating.

Here's where they advertise the 140 lbs:

http://www.breckwell.com/BigE_specs.htm

Thanks alot,

FG.

buildingmaint said:
sure you can put 140 lbs in it , but they will be piled way high above the sides lol, no only holds 120 lbs, don't know where they got lbs. I don't know what to say about the warm / cold air thing, only thing that would make sense would be that one side is blocked some way , but you can feel cool air

I would suggest putting a thermometer on both sides to see witch side is heating /or not heating.

Never heard of one side having warmer air than the other. Kind of imposable to do. The hopper will hold 3 bags of pellets.

Eric

it will hold 210lb more with the optional hopper ext.

Attachments

• hopper.jpg
    hopper.jpg
    5.6 KB · Views: 382
buildingmaint said:
Must be 6'4" to load hopper. Or have a ladder next to stove .

some people would only need the ladder once a week ;-)

The Really Big "E" will soon be available ...it has the extra-extra-extra big hopper extension and includes full duplexing and and a 500 sheet feeder

Attachments

• extra big E.bmp
    131.3 KB · Views: 401
peirhead said:
The Really Big "E" will soon be available ...it has the extra-extra-extra big hopper extension and includes full duplexing and and a 500 sheet feeder

lol...thanks for the geek talk.

Just wondering how you made out with your air flow? I just started mine up for the 1st time today...been running 4 hours now...not blowing "hot" air, just warm. More or less blow dryer heat uotput!!! haha

Air flow and pellet feed rate seem fine. Hot enough anyway.

I did notice that if you face the stove door, the air coming from the far left tubes always seems a bit cooler than the air coming from the right tubes.

Also, I notice a slight smell in the house, not sure yet if it's the paint + heat curing, or a pellet/wood burning smell.

The manual even says that a slight wood buring smell could be normal, but to watch for it becoming worse.

If it's the paint heat curing that will go away.

No matter what I do have CO dectors. Make sure you invest in a few of those.

How is yours on those two counts?

Thanks,

FG.

iselltile said:
Just wondering how you made out with your air flow? I just started mine up for the 1st time today...been running 4 hours now...not blowing "hot" air, just warm. More or less blow dryer heat uotput!!! haha

Status
Not open for further replies.