Another boring sizing dilemma

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

littlalex

Oct 6, 2007
Hewitt, NJ
Greetings all - I'm back to the forum and a bit befuddled. This year we're going to make the full wood burn switch and I had my heart(h) set on the Englander vl-17 (our home is a bit short of 1000 sf - probably 900 tops) and money is definitely an issue.

The more I think about the 1.1 cf firebox the more uncomfortable I get. This leads me to the NC-13 and it approx 2 cf box but we already have an old 77 Vigilant here and we've used it probably for 15-20 days of full time heating over the last two years. By my clueless newbie calculations the Vig and the NC have close to the same output (at least on paper). When we did use the old VC last year it did drive us out of the room where it sits (our main living space approx 12x22 w/16' cathedral ceiling.) I didn't know much what I was doing but I was certainly not "cranking it".

I'm nervous that the NC-13 would do the same. I'm still leaning towards the 17 because an overnight burn for us is no more than 5-6 hours probably more often four hours (I'm and all night person that turns in at 5 a.m. - the wife keeps, uh, more normal hours) Thoughts and options appreciated. We'll mostly be burning some brand of pressed wood, most probably mostly eco-bricks.

Lastly - Been on a good streak of luck lately. Called a local certified sweep to come and look at our chimney setup to see if it usable with a new stove without major work. Guy in his late 50's shows up (red t-shirt, pot belly, suspenders and a giant smile...one of those people you take an instant liking to). I tell him my plans. He looks at our setup, gives me some good info about a couple of small things that should be addressed re local codes. He puts his ladder up, climbs up on the roof in the 87 degree heat. He comes down a while later and tell me things are fine and that the SS pipe is hardly dirty at all. We chat a bit more and I ask him how much I owe him, NC he says with a Santa smile.

This is a man who knows how to do business and get and keep customers. I was expecting to write paper for I figure about $150. There is NO other sweep/chimney guy in my future. Even better, turns out he's a local fireman at the firehouse two miles from my house and a member of the ambulance squad...there's a whole lot of great people out there.

Thanks for listening to the bloated post and if any other stoves in the super sale price range of $600 come to mind please let me know.

Littlalex

littlalex said:
Greetings all - I'm back to the forum and a bit befuddled. This year we're going to make the full wood burn switch and I had my heart(h) set on the Englander vl-17 (our home is a bit short of 1000 sf - probably 900 tops) and money is definitely an issue.

The more I think about the 1.1 cf firebox the more uncomfortable I get. This leads me to the NC-13 and it approx 2 cf box but we already have an old 77 Vigilant here and we've used it probably for 15-20 days of full time heating over the last two years. By my clueless newbie calculations the Vig and the NC have close to the same output (at least on paper). When we did use the old VC last year it did drive us out of the room where it sits (our main living space approx 12x22 w/16' cathedral ceiling.) I didn't know much what I was doing but I was certainly not "cranking it".

I'm nervous that the NC-13 would do the same. I'm still leaning towards the 17 because an overnight burn for us is no more than 5-6 hours probably more often four hours (I'm and all night person that turns in at 5 a.m. - the wife keeps, uh, more normal hours) Thoughts and options appreciated. We'll mostly be burning some brand of pressed wood, most probably mostly eco-bricks.

Lastly - Been on a good streak of luck lately. Called a local certified sweep to come and look at our chimney setup to see if it usable with a new stove without major work. Guy in his late 50's shows up (red t-shirt, pot belly, suspenders and a giant smile...one of those people you take an instant liking to). I tell him my plans. He looks at our setup, gives me some good info about a couple of small things that should be addressed re local codes. He puts his ladder up, climbs up on the roof in the 87 degree heat. He comes down a while later and tell me things are fine and that the SS pipe is hardly dirty at all. We chat a bit more and I ask him how much I owe him, NC he says with a Santa smile.

This is a man who knows how to do business and get and keep customers. I was expecting to write paper for I figure about $150. There is NO other sweep/chimney guy in my future. Even better, turns out he's a local fireman at the firehouse two miles from my house and a member of the ambulance squad...there's a whole lot of great people out there.

Thanks for listening to the bloated post and if any other stoves in the super sale price range of $600 come to mind please let me know.

Littlalex

The Vigilant is much larger than the 13. The 13 has about a 1.8 cu ft firebox and the Vig is north of 2.3 cu ft. Ignore the stat sheets and focus on firebox size. Go with the 13. It will give you longer burn times. You can always build smaller fires if it comes to it.

The NC-13 is more like 1.5 cu ft when I measured it. Probably looking at 6-8 hour burns. It should do fine heating a small home but you may have to load less wood in the box during the shoulder seasons to keep it from overheating the house. It also doesn't hurt to open a window once in awhile if need be.

I know the perfect stove for your home, the Woodstock Keystone, but it will cost you twice the money. It may save you over the long run but I know how it is when money is tight.

Todd said:
The NC-13 is more like 1.5 cu ft when I measured it. Probably looking at 6-8 hour burns. It should do fine heating a small home but you may have to load less wood in the box during the shoulder seasons to keep it from overheating the house. It also doesn't hurt to open a window once in awhile if need be.

I know the perfect stove for your home, the Woodstock Keystone, but it will cost you twice the money. It may save you over the long run but I know how it is when money is tight.

It is closer to three times the price of a 13. As someone that was also on a tight budget when it came to stoves, it is hard to swallow and justify paying $2,400 for a stove when another stove will meet your needs just as well.

The 13 seems like a good fit. That's a pretty good size room you're putting it in, but how is the rest of the house laid out? For moving heat around, that is. The 13 also isn't a huge investment if you decide to trade up in a few years. You'll still get at least a couple hundred bucks out of it in good shape.

I went to a woodstove store today and for the first time saw a VL-17. It is a TINY stove. It might be suitable to heat a small room, but that's about it. My Dad has an outdoor workshop and he want's to put a bit of heat in it and the VL-17 would be perfect for it. Small firebox, small loading of wood - it would get the job done with minimal effort on his part - but I wouldn't use this stove in a home or a larger camp setting.

I also got to see the NC-13 (along with the VL-17) and the mighty 30-NC side by side for the first time. The 30 is a giant stove! Todd may be right - I may not have to burn my Keystone this year - yikes!

But what jumped out at me was how similar the NC-13 was to my Woodstock Keystone in size and shape.

For your application, I would recommend forgetting the VL-17 and getting the NC-13. You can handle the shoulder season burns and not over heat your space by building smaller fires. You will get a very clean burn with the 13 and enough hp to keep your furnance off in the colder weather. You also might be able to paint/clean-up your old VC stove and sell it to offset the cost of the 13 vs the 17. You can buy local or go to Overstockstoves.com (Englander's online outlet) for a reality check on price. I think you will also enjoy the fire view of the 13 and may find yourself burning more full time as you enjoy the stove show.

Good luck,
Bill

I debated the 17 and the 13 for the second stove in the apartment (550 Sf). It was the burn times that made the call.

I'm glad I did, with the winter we had last year. Go for the bigger box.

Yeah, go with the 13-NC. I hadn't looked in a while but they have now posted the replacement prices for those refractory pieces in the 17. Not cheap. Get the 13 that uses regular firebricks at three bucks apiece.

Thanks all, the NC-13 is the way it is going to go unless I find a lesser loved (but respected) brand with similar specs to the 13 at an outrageous price. Even without the help of significant experience the 17 firebox just seems like it couldn't be more than a single room heater.

Regards and happy burning,

Littlalex

It's worth checking around for a Drolet, Buck or Napoleon 2 cu ft stove while looking.

You might consider a catalytic stove with a bigger box. You can turn it down more and get long burns and not too much heat.

littlalex said:

Littlalex

Sounds like you found yourself a great fellow for cleaning the chimney and other things. It sounds like the next time he should be in line for a very generous tip.

When that stove starts cooking you out of the room, take a desktop (not pedestal) fan, set it in the doorway and blow cool air into the stove room. This will help to cool the room a bit because it will move the warm air out. This works much better than trying to blow warm air out of the room. It sounds backwards but works very well.

Status
Not open for further replies.