Another clearance question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Ofourcobra

May 21, 2022
Boston
Hello everyone long time lurker first time poster . I am getting ready to pull the trigger on a Heat & Glo SUPREME-I30-IFT– Supreme 30" Gas Insert with IntelliFire Touch Ignition System, chimney inspection was fine , the only problem I am having is figuring which clearances I have to adhere to . In the attached picture my fire place opening sticks out about 1” past the existing wood framing and my contractor is going by the clearances defined under the “Wall extension” so I guess my question is , is my current fireplace with wall considered a wall extension ? Thanks in advance

9D0D7D66-DF9B-4945-8C66-B4F647BE9FE7.jpeg 0FA39124-5E73-4674-90CA-510F5FFEDD8D.jpeg 6A170F91-3EEF-4CC6-912B-9AD43F987F0D.jpeg

The document' page states this is for a non-combustible wall extension. The framing surrounding the opening is combustible. It doesn't really apply here except figure 3.11's clearance to combustibles (dim. x) which is 33.5" from the center for the 30" insert.

I wasn’t sure because based on the pic it looks like the wall is framed out to accommodate a fireplace where mine is all brick I wasn’t sure if I need to reframe wall in metal studs to comply with the clearances .

The build-out shown on that page is labeled a non-combustible zone. That means the built-out would have to be framed with metal studs and cement board or built out of masonry.

The build-out shown on that page is labeled a non-combustible zone. That means the built-out would have to be framed with metal studs and cement board or built out of masonry.
I guess the confusion is with the wording , when I look at the picture one would think it’s for when building out the firebox to accommodate a larger fireplace , the manual says and stages only allows up to a 12 inch buildout so that the venting will still line up going to the insert . Either way I am following to the clearances to combustibles and using durock and steel studs. Thanks again

I guess the confusion is with the wording , when I look at the picture one would think it’s for when building out the firebox to accommodate a larger fireplace , the manual says and stages only allows up to a 12 inch buildout so that the venting will still line up going to the insert . Either way I am following to the clearances to combustibles and using durock and steel studs. Thanks again

F7D3FE49-E736-4270-ADF5-1638D5C6D3F7.jpeg

Just to be clear, you need to have the proper clearance with all non combustible material. If you don't have the clearance now, with the existing masonry, covering combustibles with steel studs and durock does not give you reduced clearance.

Just to be clear, you need to have the proper clearance with all non combustible material. If you don't have the clearance now, with the existing masonry, covering combustibles with steel studs and durock does not give you reduced clearance.
BBB9CB56-4E79-4BE1-B646-A4BDE0103B35.jpeg

Will this work ? There is some wood behind this wall from another room but I think it will be ok

That looks better. What is the white face material surrounding the fireplace opening?

That looks better. What is the white face material surrounding the fireplace opening?
Just painted brick lol , just wasn’t sure about the studs in back as they are the wall studs for my dining room but are behind the metal studs so I’m assuming it should be fine . I’m also going to install roxul insulation as well

Just painted brick lol , just wasn’t sure about the studs in back as they are the wall studs for my dining room but are behind the metal studs so I’m assuming it should be fine . I’m also going to install roxul insulation as well
And the finished product , we will do a granite surround and mantel to cap it off , can’t wait to get the insert installed , thanks to all who replied , I searched through the forums for weeks before I posted .

B571A7BE-0DAD-4232-897C-A4FE3BFF0C91.jpeg