Another Dumb Question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Do you have ductwork? We have a 2500 sqft victorian that's heated with a woodfurnace. Ours is 2 stories, but we have 42 windows and 10' ceilings. We have a LP furnace, but heat solely with wood.

Do you have ductwork? We have a 2500 sqft victorian that's heated with a woodfurnace. Ours is 2 stories, but we have 42 windows and 10' ceilings. We have a LP furnace, but heat solely with wood.

Just bought the house in April so still learning about it. I see ducts (is that how to spell the openings? lol) in the crawl space/cellar. There's some massive tubes with what looks like asbestos sheet lining wrapped around it lying on the dirt floor. It currently has electric baseboard which I really don't want to use that goes right over the ducts. I have a ton of windows too, haven't counted them though. I'll be busy for the next 30 years with this house.

Yeah ft indiantown gap is 45 mins to an hour from us

Sounds like you wouldn't have the room for a woodfurnace. I just threw it out there as an option. Sounds like you have your work cut out for you, I know we did.

How tall is your fireplace, floor to lintel? If it is not tall enough to fit a top vent freestanding you will have to go with a rear vent which will really lower your options.

33 1/2"

Bet that means rear vent. :(

33 1/2"

Bet that means rear vent. :(

Not at all (although you would have quite a few options there). The PE Summit with legs is about 30" in height, I think. And if you are on a budget, the Englander 30NC with the short legs should also fit (at least based on height). Given the size and age of your home, take also a look at the Kuma Sequoia insert. That can put out some serious heat. Only caveat: It requires an 8" liner so your flue needs to be wide enough.

Reactions: ambull01
Not at all (although you would have quite a few options there). The PE Summit with legs is about 30" in height, I think. And if you are on a budget, the Englander 30NC with the short legs should also fit (at least based on height). Given the size and age of your home, take also a look at the Kuma Sequoia insert. That can put out some serious heat. Only caveat: It requires an 8" liner so your flue needs to be wide enough.

Awesome!!! You just made my day sir/ma'am. I'll look at those three. I think my flue could accommodate an 8" liner. Have to measure it to make sure. Thanks

I love the way the Sequoia looks. Really clean looking, exactly what I like. I can even put legs on it to make it a free standing, if it fits.

Okay, narrowed it down to the Englander 30NC or the Kuma Sequoia with legs. I need to calm down now so I can go to sleep.

I have a used Summit A series if you're interested.

I know, Sequoia is kind of pricey. Figure it will just be a one time cost that will last a long time though.

Ah, I have the insert, not a free stander.

Ohhh. So you can't just slap on some legs/a pedestal?
Well, you can do whatever you want, but it ain't made to do that way.
The insert has a second shell/sheetmetal casing around it. I suppose you could take the casing off and weld some legs on.

Only a select few manufacturers make stoves that can be Insert or Freestanding, my Appalachian can be either.

Okay. I thought most of the inserts could be turned into free standing. I have a weird shaped firebox so I may have to go free standing. If I do an insert it will have to be really shallow or it will stick out a lot if I go with a deeper model.

Status
Not open for further replies.