Another FREE load

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

infinitymike

Minister of Fire
Aug 23, 2011
Long Island, NY
I just cant stop. My friend with a tree service company has been calling me to come and take wood. He has to much:eek:.

photormz.jpg

photoejl.jpg

photocw.jpg

1018909.jpg

Sugar Maple on that load?

It's maple, cherry and ash. Not sure what type of maple.

That first picture alone shows probably ten or fifteen year's firewood for my house. You're set.

Reactions: PA Fire Bug
Wow! That dump trailer sure was a good investment. I'd like to get one.

WHOA !!!!

I wish I could say it was All mine. But he did say feel free to take more.
I think there might be 3 cord there.

I bought that trailer used 4 years ago for work and can't imagine how I lived without it.
From hauling garbage to scrap metal to mulch to firewood
It has paid for it self over and over.

Very nice.
He even loaded the trailer for you.
You had to take the stuff that needs cut & split. You get to do the fun stuff :)

Careful off-loading ;)

One log would last the winter quarter! :eek: Looks like you have a little bit of cutting and a LOT of splitting to do. !!

Very nice.
He even loaded the trailer for you.
You had to take the stuff that needs cut & split. You get to do the fun stuff :)

Careful off-loading ;)
I doubt he would load me with his splits. Who knows, ask and you shall receive!

I'm hoping the trailer can lift that load and dump it.
Then again maybe I should buck most if it right in the trailer and roll each piece out.

One log would last the winter quarter! :eek: Looks like you have a little bit of cutting and a LOT of splitting to do. !!

He said he wants to sell his timber wolf tw5 splitter for $1500.
He said it needs some tlc but runs great. I have to go and check it out.
I was using the same splitter that another friend loaned me but he needed it back.
I've been splitting some other stuff by hand and I am shot.
I really am not looking forward to swinging a maul on some of those rounds.
If anything I would get it all bucked and then rent one for $90

i just checked one site and saw a used tw5 for $5800. i didn't bother checking new $$.

depending on what is meant by tlc, it sounds like quite a deal. especially if it runs and splits wood NOW, cuz that's what you need.

i went back and forth on buying and renting. ended up buying one and couldn't be happier. especially if you're getting lots of free wood and big rounds . if everything was 12" across i'd a just kept splitting by hand but i've got monster rounds to split. just getting them quartered was demoralizing. plus there's knots and crotches. and trust me...i'm not afraid of hard labor. in fact i love it. but i also love doing other things so the splitter was the way to go.

OT

i just checked one site and saw a used tw5 for $5800. i didn't bother checking new $$.

depending on what is meant by tlc, it sounds like quite a deal. especially if it runs and splits wood NOW, cuz that's what you need.

i went back and forth on buying and renting. ended up buying one and couldn't be happier. especially if your getting lots of free wood and big rounds . if everything was 12" across i'd a just kept splitting by hand but i've got monster rounds to split. just getting them quartered was demoralizing. plus there's knots and crotches. and trust me...i'm not afraid of hard labor. in fact i love it. but i also love doing other things so the splitter was the way to go.

OT

Brand new they are in the neighbor hood of $8000 and up
He doesnt remember how old it is but has thousands of cords on it.

Demoralizing is a good word. I was splitting some locust that was bucked in August and was completely demoralized.
I had to drive the wedge almost all the way down. And they were only 8-12" diameters. I felt like I was trying to break up a concrete slab.
I also, am not afraid of hard work, being a framer for 28 years. I'm still swinging a hammer everyday with my guys.
But that was abusive.

Mike, if I understand correctly, firewood brings premium prices on Long Island? TW 5 for $1500, if that thing could be brought up to snuff for 2k you're still way ahead. If you don't buy it I will. Unlimited wood supply, sounds like a money maker to me, as long as you're not in competition with your buddy. Just a thought. A C

Mike, if I understand correctly, firewood brings premium prices on Long Island? TW 5 for $1500, if that thing could be brought up to snuff for 2k you're still way ahead. If you don't buy it I will. Unlimited wood supply, sounds like a money maker to me, as long as you're not in competition with your buddy. Just a thought. A C

ac -

great zen koan in your profile.

A TW5 looks like an awesome splitter.
Don't split in the vertical mode. Now if it has the hydraulic lift, it may be too much to pass up.
May be too much splitter for a homeowner though. LOL :)

TW-5.jpg

ac -

great zen koan in your profile.

Sorry, OT, but I'm gonna hafta plead ignorance on what zen koan means. Bear with me please, I'm from the sticks so I my be a bit behind. I'm gonna take that as a compliment, & say thank you though. A C

Sorry, OT, but I'm gonna hafta plead ignorance on what zen koan means. Bear with me please, I'm from the sticks so I my be a bit behind. I'm gonna take that as a compliment, & say thank you though. A C

AC
it was definitely meant as a compliment. i was referring to the quote in your profile regarding....um....women. no offense intended for the many fine and upstanding ladies on this forum._g

zen: a way of looking at the deeper meanings of life
koan: a parable intended to teach at multiple levels

so your quote taught me to look deeper at the reasons why i can't understand women. thanks for taking my mind off all the wood i need to split!

BogyDave. It is an incredible machine. It does have the lifter.
I was using a different tw5 over the winter. It split some serious stuff.
My rounds are 24" long. So splitting by hand is ridiculous.
I have a mortgage on my house, so I guess I'm not a homeowner.
So it won't be to much for me. LOL

Is Alaska really the Most eastern state?

Around here a cord runs around $200.
Some guys will deliver and stack it for that price.
I've seen ads for less but usually they just dump it and run.
I doubt I could ever compete against him. He has a $30,000 firewood processor and mountains of split wood

I was counting the possible money I could make,
Let's see.... Split 5 cord a day, 5 days a week, for 40 weeks,
That would be $200,000!
Just have to find 500 customers that want 2 cords a year

BogyDave. It is an incredible machine. It does have the lifter.
I was using a different tw5 over the winter. It split some serious stuff.
My rounds are 24" long. So splitting by hand is ridiculous.
I have a mortgage on my house, so I guess I'm not a homeowner.
So it won't be to much for me. LOL

Is Alaska really the Most eastern state?

Would be a sweet splitter for sure. Mu way of thinking is what can go wrong? ; new engine & pump at the worst, new "O" rings in the ram. Maybe a hose. I'd buy it for $1500, but shipping would be about that much too.

Oh I know the mortgage thing,
Also don't forget you are just renting. Even after you pay off the mortgage, if you don't pay all the taxes, you loose the house, So we are all just renters :)

NW&E most state? Yes. Aleutian Islands are the most East & West.

nsewusa.gif

Would be a sweet splitter for sure. Mu way of thinking is what can go wrong? ; new engine & pump at the worst, new "O" rings in the ram. Maybe a hose. I'd buy it for $1500, but shipping would be about that much too.

Oh I know the mortgage thing,
Also don't forget you are just renting. Even after you pay off the mortgage, if you don't pay all the taxes, you loose the house, So we are all just renters :)

NS&E most state? Yes. Aleutian Islands are the most East & West.

View attachment 68473

NS&E state. Wow that's pretty cool. Learn something new here every day!
As far as the splitter, I know it's a great deal. But for the first time that I can remember my wife is putting up a little resistance about spending the money. She says that for the past 10 months it's been nothing but wood.
There are a lot of other projects I started that need to be finished and the money should go there. She says finish those projects and then we'll talk. She's always super easy going about anything. She was totally on the same page with the boiler.
But I guess she's right I've been locked and loaded with my sights on wood and have let some stuff fall to the wayside.

Don't worry I have a magical touch and will soften her up (or wear her down) and still get my way!

NS&E state. Wow that's pretty cool. Learn something new here every day!
As far as the splitter, I know it's a great deal. But for the first time that I can remember my wife is putting up a little resistance about spending the money. She says that for the past 10 months it's been nothing but wood.
There are a lot of other projects I started that need to be finished and the money should go there. She says finish those projects and then we'll talk. She's always super easy going about anything. She was totally on the same page with the boiler.
But I guess she's right I've been locked and loaded with my sights on wood and have let some stuff fall to the wayside.

Don't worry I have a magical touch and will soften her up (or wear her down) and still get my way!

sounds like my wife, lol once you set your mind to stock up on wood we get tunnel vision. Ive spent the last two weekends on everything but wood, the wives are right once in a while.

Status
Not open for further replies.