Another Free Load

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

NYLife

Burning Hunk
Sep 3, 2012
Mohegan Lake NY
I was driving to work and seen a nice pile of wood already cut in nice pieces. The guy said its all yours filled up my station wagon as well as my brothers as well and will pick up the other load tomorrow

Reactions: Backwoods Savage
Nice easy scrounge, what sort of wood was it?

I was driving to work and seen a nice pile of wood already cut in nice pieces. The guy said its all yours filled up my station wagon as well as my brothers as well and will pick up the other load tomorrow

Nice catch NYlife! How do you guys come across this stuff anyway? I search and search up here and am lucky to come across a pile of a tree next to the road. I then buck it up, bring it home and split and stack it. I am surprised some of you don't have it dropped in your yard for free! ;lol

No comments from you Infinitymike!

Where NYlife and I live, not too many people burn, or if they do, they don't seem to do much scrounging. I have seen wood sit roadside for months, even years. I've been driving by a pile of Red Oak for two years now. It is a little harder to get to so I have making easier scrounges, but I bet it will rot there if I don't get it.

Just wait til NYlife has a truck. He's gonna have a whole yard full of wood.

Reactions: PapaDave
Where NYlife and I live, not too many people burn, or if they do, they don't seem to do much scrounging. I have seen wood sit roadside for months, even years. I've been driving by a pile of Red Oak for two years now. It is a little harder to get to so I have making easier scrounges, but I bet it will rot there if I don't get it.

I think you are right. There are quite a few wood burners in our area. I imagine in your area and all larger population areas, you probably have about 1 in 5000 people burning wood. Just a guess, obviously. ;lol But when I lived on the outside of a "larger" city, about 300,000, not a whole lot of them burn. I hate to think of all the wasted wood when that many yard trees are cut down and just thrown somewhere by the tree service.

I think that we suburban wood burners probably have the easiest time getting wood. There is more of an urban lifestyle here. Fireplaces are mostly for looks a few nights a year and most people are working so darn hard just to afford living here that they don't have time for or interest in processing wood.

Here is the wood

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    198.8 KB · Views: 139
Reactions: Dairyman and zap
Nice catch NYlife! How do you guys come across this stuff anyway? I search and search up here and am lucky to come across a pile of a tree next to the road. I then buck it up, bring it home and split and stack it. I am surprised some of you don't have it dropped in your yard for free! ;lol

No comments from you Infinitymike!
I found this load on my way to work. They were cutting the tree down . I got a landscaper that drops wood off after he takes them down so he doesn't have to pay to dump it

You should get it before it rots. If you don't to ill get it . I'm going to build a wood fence around my 1/2 acre..

You should get it before it rots. If you don't to ill get it . I'm going to build a wood fence around my 1/2 acre..

I'm not tellin' where it is.:p

Nice ash score NYlife

You eye is getting well trained for finding fire wood.
You're even smelling it out.
Next, you'll be hearing a chain saw running & be on your way to another scrounge .

Nice score of "primo" wood ;)

You eye is getting well trained for finding fire wood.
You're even smelling it out.
Next, you'll be hearing a chain saw running & be on your way to another scrounge .

Nice score of "primo" wood ;)
I learn from guys like you Dave. The more wood less oil i have use

That looks like mulberry too me on my phone. Yellowish center wood with fine & tight ridges on the bark. Either way excellent wood & great score.

T
That looks like mulberry too me on my phone. Yellowish center wood with fine & tight ridges on the bark. Either way excellent wood & great score.[/quote
Thank you. Just trying to get ahead of the game so I won't have to go to crazy during the summer. Ill bust my hump now thru the spring

Status
Not open for further replies.