1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

Another genny question

Post in 'The Gear' started by WellSeasoned, Nov 3, 2012.

1. WellSeasoned

WellSeasoned Guest

Those of you with portable generators..... I plan on building a little "generator house" that will be open for intake and exhaust to keep it out if the weather and to quiet it down a bit as well as chaining it down to the concrete pad. I currently have a 15' 30 amp power cord that came with the genny..... Any of you purchase a longer cord, maybe 30 to 50 ft worth of cord? I want to get this thing down on the property a bit. Any power loss with longer extension cord? Any other tips will be helpful, thx alot!

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. rottiman

rottiman Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Ontario Canada
    Yes there is some power loss as the cable gets longer. Also, be careful about enclosing your genny too much if it is air cooled. You need the air circulation to keep things cool enough.
  3. tfdchief

tfdchief Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Tuscola, IL
    Yes, the longer the run the more loss there is. As you get farther away, you will have to up-size the conductors. There are lots of voltage drop calculators. You generally don't want more than 5% voltage drop. Just Google voltage drop calculator.
  4. WellSeasoned

WellSeasoned Guest

5. MasterMech

MasterMech Guest

Extension cord gets pricey as the length goes up, especially heavier cords like you'd need for a generator feed. Maybe run a permanent line out to where the genny will be installed and a short flexible cord to connect the genset to the hardline.