1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

Another "ID this stove..."

Post in 'Classic Wood Stove Forums (prior to approx. 1993)' started by Corey, Dec 6, 2011.

1. Corey

Corey Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Midwest
    I throw this picture up every few years to see if anyone has any thought on a manufacturer. There are no tags or other identifying marks. It was originally built as a 'slammer' - it had a ~3" x 14" slot in the top to dump smoke into a chimney. It had a simple steel baffle which I've since replaced it with a full secondary air system. I've had thoughts of maybe an old buck or lopi - and seen a few of each with similar styles, but nothing exact. So if you have any thoughts feel free let me know.

[​IMG]

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. tfdchief

tfdchief Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Tuscola, IL
    Well, it is not a Buck like any I know of, and not a Lopi I know of, but it is a beautiful thing, in my opinion :) 'Course, us old Smoke Dragon guys are a rare breed. Funny how warm those suckers kept me while you EPA guys were in diapers :coolsmile: I know, I know, I am going to be crucified. but it is worth it. :p
  3. Corey

Corey Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Midwest
    Thanks for giving it a shot!
  4. tfdchief

Loc:
    Tuscola, IL
    cozy heat, is the handle on the bottom to an ash drawer. I really was hoping Weby or some of the other "OLD" stove guys would chime in here. I am really interested in your stove. I have just never seen one like it. I am going to keep bumpin this thing. :)
  5. webbie

webbie Seasoned Moderator Staff Member

Loc:
    Western Mass.
    I don't recognize it...and I have seem most of 'em over the years!
    That usually means a local or regional model....although they sure spent some money on the door patterns....nice doors!
  6. tfdchief

Loc:
    Tuscola, IL
    Thanks, Craig, I thought the same thing. I know I am old, and I sure do appreciate the new stuff, but I think it is a beautiful stove, whoever made it. Sounds like Cozy heat has it working good! :coolsmile:
  7. BrotherBart

BrotherBart Hearth.com LLC Mid-Atlantic Division Staff Member

Loc:
    Northern Virginia
    Some of us EPA guys probably aren't far away from Depends. ;-)
  8. tfdchief

Loc:
    Tuscola, IL
    Well, now, that is the funniest thing I have heard all day.......think I will go to bed on that one! Thanks, BB, one old guy to another! :snake:
  9. Corey

Corey Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Midwest
    Well, now we have two officials and no answer - so maybe this is really an unknown local model. I've only ever seen one other and it was on a local craigslist, too.

As you suspect, the brass handle is an ash pan. The two silver handles above that are air inlets (I've converted them to be my new air inlets) The handles at the top / above the doors are also air inlets - I basically welded them up and blocked off. The firebox is really unique. The top actually follows the arch of the doors somewhat (outlined in red) and tapers several inches front to back. (smaller in the back) Originally, it was designed to have two ~5" fans in the bottom air inlets and air flowing out the top outlets. I put a 14" fan in the back and cut a hole in the top/outer skin to let more hot air circulate right at the top of the firebox. (You can see a bit of the brass grating and reflection on the very top)

Arched firebox
    [​IMG]
  10. eclecticcottage

eclecticcottage Minister of Fire

Loc:
    WNY
    I have no idea, but I had to say the ash handle and two knobs (?) above make a great smilie face.
  11. Corey

Corey Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Midwest
    I had never noticed that before...now, I can't NOT notice that. Thanks! :)