another id

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ohiojoe13

Feeling the Heat
Dec 22, 2014
alliance ohio
This tree is down at work and the boss gave me the ok to cut it up. I think it's oak.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2015-03-19-19-09-15.png
    Screenshot_2015-03-19-19-09-15.png
    658.1 KB · Views: 255
Hard to say from the one pic, but it looks like it's....dangerous! _g

Reactions: D8Chumley
Could be a White Oak. How far off the ground is it?

Be careful, don't let it be your last.

Some sort of oak. It looks large. Do you have room to process it there?

There is plenty of room. But idk if the boss will let me. I saw shocked as hell when I asked if I could cut it up and take it and he said yes. I really don't wanna push my luck.

I think you're going to need to either split, or noodle those rounds if it's Oak. I bet 18" length rounds will be 300 + lbs.

Take a picture of where it's held up on each end.
Right- in my mind I'm picturing it, I'd start carefully at the top and work toward the stump, not that I'm a pro or even done this a lot. Pics will help

Looks like oak to me as well. I just started processing three 27" dia red oaks. I cut them into 20" blocks. I just hauled my wood splitter out in the woods, put it in vertical mode, rolled them in place and 1/4'd them up. I had help from a few friends though when quartering them. They were HEAVY! I now have to haul everything back to my place.

Is the root ball still attached? Need more pics. Better yet, you need a friend that has a lot of experience. Hard to say what's going to be safe, just looking at pics.

Last edited:
Yes, beware the root ball

Crap, it won't let me show it

This is the only other picture I have. I'll try to get more Monday.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2015-03-20-20-11-26.png
    Screenshot_2015-03-20-20-11-26.png
    445.7 KB · Views: 142
  • Screenshot_2015-03-20-20-11-26.png
    Screenshot_2015-03-20-20-11-26.png
    445.7 KB · Views: 140
This is the only other picture I have. I'll try to get more Monday.
OK, I missed where you said it was held at the base "by a few fibers." Just be prepared for it to break loose as you start cutting branches off the top. Maybe you can cut from the side the trunk is on, so it can't roll toward you. Like I said, hard for us to say what to do without being there to look at it.

The safest option may be to try and pull it off where it's broken before bucking it - it seems splintered pretty good. You could use a machine to push it off, or a truck and chain to pull it.

Status
Not open for further replies.