Another "Is This A Wood Good Deal?"

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Tfin

Jul 24, 2007
Central Maine
Saw an add for 12-24" length pine rounds, $25 per truck load. Says trees were dropped in May.

I have all the wood I need for this season, and I know its only pine but is this a good deal for "shoulder month wood". I only have a 1/2 ton X-tra cab with a 6 ft bed. Its fairly close to where I live an all.....if it was free I wouldn't even think twice. But is $25 for my truck load of pine rounds worth it or not?

I'm leaning towards yes, and I'd probably only grab one load. Just curious what others thought.

You should be able to get just over a face cord asuming you are close and load er up. You still need to split it...What does a face cord of pine go for by you csd?

Here, a good deal on hardwood is like $250. Oak has almost twice the heat value of white pine. So 3 loads is about a cord; $75 a cord. Twice that is $150... sounds like a reasonable deal per BTU, labor excepted.

burntime said:
You should be able to get just over a face cord asuming you are close and load er up. You still need to split it...What does a face cord of pine go for by you csd?

No idea....most (if not all) csd in my area is hardwood. Oh, I'd load it as high/much as I could.

Adios Pantalones said:
Here, a good deal on hardwood is like $250. Oak has almost twice the heat value of white pine. So 3 loads is about a cord; $75 a cord. Twice that is $150... sounds like a reasonable deal per BTU, labor excepted.

Hardwood is about the same here too. Like I said, I was thinking it would be good for the should months. Sounds like its worth it then.

Bumping this thread...

If someone's offering "pine boards", is that something I should be interested in? Not treated. I'd think anything kiln-dried is going to avoid the problems with burning (wetter) pine?

Adios Pantalones said:

I tend to agree... it is a good deal but it is not so good as to be a "gotta do it" deal. If you have the time, energy and space I'd go for it. If you don't go for it, it isn't as if you missed a real sweet deal.

I can get a cord of CSD pine for 140 in my neck of the woods... and a load (4-6 cords) of log length pine for 250.

Adios Pantalones said:
Jay90210- You can burn "pine boards"- but it's going to burn fast and furious. Perfect for kindling or for just stuffing the extra space in a stove- but you could easily overfire with it.
Thanks.. so maybe grab it if I can, but only use one chunk at a time with my normal wood.

Jay777 said:
Adios Pantalones said:
Jay90210- You can burn "pine boards"- but it's going to burn fast and furious. Perfect for kindling or for just stuffing the extra space in a stove- but you could easily overfire with it.
Thanks.. so maybe grab it if I can, but only use one chunk at a time with my normal wood.

Definitely grab it is you can. In addition as to what was stated above, it is good for restoking the coals from an overnight burn. I burn pine a lot and the key is never stuff your stove.

There's probably $25 of your time there if you were to drop a pine and cut it into rounds.
A bit of a variance in length. That would have to work for you.

Pine can sometimes be a pain to split, especially if it grew slow and in the clear and kept its lower branches vs a tree that grew fast, in the thick and had to grow straught up for light. (knots tend to be smaller and further apart, bottom branches lost sooner in life).
Only have white pine here. I've thrown a lot away rather than work with it. It is nice to have some. It always seems to take longer to dry that I would expect.
I won't burn anything I cut this year, this year.
When it splits easy it moves right a long. I'v gotten several wedges in a heavily knotted round and either gottten the wedges out and tossed it or taken the saw to it.

I'd make a run for it, or 2, or 3.

Suggestion... it's better to make a few trips than to overload your truck and not be able to stop. Should a ferret jump out, someone cuts you off (hard enough to stop, if you have to, under max weight..almost impossible to stop safely if you are overloaded, I've had my share of "whew" moments), someones Grandma or Grandpa just pulls out ahead of you, etc.

It's heavy.

Add that to your truck, and you've got alot of weight there.

Better to be safe than dead.

*off my soap box*

Doing The Dixie Eyed Hustle said:
Should a ferret jump out...

If I'm heavily loaded, which I frequently am, I just aim for them...much less scary than trying to stop. :coolsmile: Rick

You see ferrets when you get heavily loaded?

“Mr. Penguin- you belong in Antarctica”

That sooooo deserves this

2pzwpye.gif

I usually keep some pine and poplar around to give to people who just want a little wood for a few fireplace fires. I have gotten lots of cakes from grateful people.

Status
Not open for further replies.