Another moisture question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Diabel

Minister of Fire
Jan 11, 2008
Ottawa, ON
The wood was cut I split this past April (Beech & hard Maple). Few days ago I split one of the pieces to discover 37% moisture. Will the moisture go down to acceptable 20% by November? Or should I just put it away for next year burning?

Thanks

I'd be surprised if it made it down to 20% MC unless you spread it our all over a blacktop driveway for a few months and parked the car in the grass. But what do I know, 3 years ago I was burning 1 weak seasoned red oak to keep warm.

Are you holding out on the good stuff? I would burn the driest wood I had on hand. If that's all ya got, then go for it, Keep an eye on the buildup in the chimney and you should be OK. If nothing else, you will learn to appreciate the value of good seasoned wood!

Chris

I, like Rockey, used to cut it and burn it. With red oak too! Talk about burning some wet wood. But you know what?? It heated the house, and I never paid to have my LP tank filled. SO..... if that is what you have to burn, then burn it.

Diabel I'm thinking Beech an Maple will be darn close to 20% esp so if it's in the sun and wind. Next year to be sure you could make smaller splits that ups the time line for seasoning too. Surely most of your wood has turned gray by now...that's a sign the seasoning process is tracking well.

Thanks for your thoughts!

The situation is this:

I burn about 5 face cords of wood each season. I have about 2 face cords of good stuff from last year ready to burn. My wood shed will hold about 5 face cords. Wood in question is sitting on my driveway (about 2 face cords) & it can't stay there all winter, I have two options 1. move it to my woodshed & start burning it or mixing it with the good stuff or 2. haul it across town to my friends house, cover it with some plywood & leave it for next year. Then buy (I do not like buying wood!!!) hopefully seasoned wood 3 face cords & stuff that in my shed. I am worried that the bought wood will not be seasoned enough... or even less seasoned than the wood on my driveway.

Thanks
D

savageactor7 said:
Diabel I'm thinking Beech an Maple will be darn close to 20% esp so if it's in the sun and wind. Next year to be sure you could make smaller splits that ups the time line for seasoning too. Surely most of your wood has turned gray by now...that's a sign the seasoning process is tracking well.

If it wasn't for all this rain......Maple that sits in full sun has turned nice silver & the outside is all cracked up, as for Beech it sits under a large tree all shade & it has turned gray but not sure if it due to seasoning or rain. Interestingly, when I split one of the Maple pieces it read 35-36% inside & when I split one of the Beech pieces it read 37%.

Diabel with your follow up info now I'm willing to bet that your wood will be ready. I'd go ahead and stack it somewhere out of the way and don't worry about the rain that's part of the aging process...as long as the wood gets to dry. Before the weather closes in ...and that's when it's more wet than dry just cover the top of it.

Truthfully though I'm lost in the woods using a moisture meter...if the wood is light to the heft, grey, weather checked on the cut ends, pings rather thuds when knocked together, fires up quickly on hot coals and burns hot...it's seasoned to me.

You will probably be close. Even if its around 25% it should burn fine. If the bark starts to peel away or loosen up that is another sign of seasoned wood.

There is also one other test that is very popular with forum members, the "bubble test" Take a split and smear some liquid soap on one end of the split and blow on the opposite end. If you get bubbles it's seasoned. I'm not kidding it works, just hide behind the wood pile when you blow. :lol:

Todd said:
There is also one other test that is very popular with forum members, the "bubble test" Take a split and smear some liquid soap on one end of the split and blow on the opposite end. If you get bubbles it's seasoned. I'm not kidding it works, just hide behind the wood pile when you blow. :lol:

And never, ever brag to your friends that you blew your wood.

You could say you had a date with bubbles? :lol:

BrotherBart said:
Todd said:

And never, ever brag to your friends that you blew your wood.

Thanks guys! I asked my wife to do the test.....& now I am sleeping downstairs....next to my computer!

I put some liquid soap on the end of my wood, and the ol lady wouldn't blowit for me. so NO bubbles for me ;(

Hogwildz said:
I put some liquid soap on the end of my wood, and the ol lady wouldn't blowit for me. so NO bubbles for me ;(

Would maple syrup work?

Hogwildz said:

Just have her ignite some kindling beneath it and see whether or not it sizzles. Rick

fossil said:
Hogwildz said:

Just have her ignite some kindling beneath it and see whether or not it sizzles. Rick

Hey Rick how close are you to Yachats, Oregon? My wife and I spent our honeymoon there and loved the Oregon area. Many people said we were foolish to go to Oregon but I wish I could visit the area every year! Funny story I pronounced it Yach-ats for three days until somebody told me it was pronounced Yaats...Oh well Eastern guy mistake :)

My wife tested my wood all of that week.....Ooops that might be too much for this webiste ;-P

JFK said:
...Hey Rick how close are you to Yachats, Oregon?...

Oh, about 180 miles and two mountain ranges. Just spent a week with family on the coast at Neskowin, about 60 miles north of Yachats. Bend is in the high desert "dry side" of central Orgeon, East of the Cascade Range. Rick

Welcome back fossil...figured you went on vacation.

Thanks, savage...yup, had a good time. Always good to be back home, though. Rick

Status
Not open for further replies.