Another new Drolet Austral

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

BDP

Feb 20, 2014
Hastings, NE
]I got into wood burning about a year ago with an old Kingsman smoke dragon. It put out huge amounts of heat, was a pain in the rear to restart and would make us smell like a campfire on a regular basis, but the heat is extremely addicting for sure. I had been jonesin' for a new efficient stove and had looked at a number of stoves and shopped all over. We were thinking Vogelzang Performer or the bigger Vogelzang, but after looking at them compared to the Drolets at Menards the quality is a noticeable difference. Menards offered a huge discount, plus an 11% rebate so we pulled the trigger and got and unbelievable deal on it.

Right now I have it plumbed into an existing masonry chimney and need to get a liner, but that will probably have to wait until fall due the high cost of a insulated SS liner. Draft does not seem to be an issue, unless I am cold starting it and we have high gusts of wind from the North.

Now to the review.

This thing is awesome...I think. The old Kingsman would heat you out of the room in no time flat. I would load the thing up packed full of whatever hardwood wet/dry and it would take my drafty 1920s 2000sf home with high ceilings and just flat out heat it up. When we ordered the Drolet I sorted through some of my wood to try and find the driest stuff. I have cut some dead stuff, but also have some fresh cut Ash, Hackberry, Mulberry, and Oak. I am just amazed at how enjoyable watching the fire burn through the glass is. It puts of good heat for an extended period of time and is super easy to restart. I love burning it 24/7 as it makes everything a little easier. Cleaning out ashes is a cinch as all the dust goes up the flue with the draft. The biggest struggle is getting it hot enough with my wood when it is -10 degrees outside. I have collected a little pallet wood and I throw it in with some splits and have gotten stove top temp up to 650 a few times and 550 is none too difficult. Burn times are pretty much however long I want them to be. With the right load of wood my stove will be 300 at 7:00 in the morning after loading it at 10:00pm the night before. I don't think I can ask much more than that. The heat is more even and I use probably 1/2 the wood as the old stove, but I now have to stage the wood next to the fireplace to give it that little extra boost of dryness. Next year will be better with some seasoned wood.

The fan is noisy. I turned it down per Drolet's tech support and I do think it actually increased the heat soak of the air and put out more hot air at a lower noise level.
stove.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: ddddddden
Looks like you're going to be smelling burning rubber after awhile!

Good to hear you're happy with your new stove.

Dude I hope you have a block off plate or a least some roxul stuffed up the chimney,otherwise all your heat is going up the chimney.
Nice bike btw

Steel stove in a fireplace. What a concept!

Looks good. And warm.

I cut a hole in the existing chimney damper, but yes I would like to fashion a little better block off plate that is closer to the stove itself.

glad to see yet another come into the Austral fold by way of the menards sale. Glad to hear your happy with your stove, it's killing me not to be able to hook mine up yet so i have to live vicariously thru other Austral owners til the time comes.

Status
Not open for further replies.