Another new guy

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

pelletash

Dec 9, 2011
Another newbie here stopping in to say hi. I've been reading this forum while and I've picked up a lot of information. I recently installed a new stove, a USSC 6041. I am enjoying the warmth and best of all not hearing the furnace run anymore. I'm currently burning AWF pellets and am going to break into the Somersets tomorrow since the cold weather finally arrived. Thanks to everyone for the great advice I've picked up.

-pelletash

hi,
welcome aboard! now send us a pic of your cozy stove!

Pics... Or it Never happened.

Welcome. You have found the spot to rest your ash and learn a lot about the workings of your stove.

I'll get some pics in the morning when light is better in the room, but trust me, it happened. The cuts and scrapes on my hands had finally healed, then reappeared today when I ran the wire for the thermostat. All for the love of warmth. Its 19 outside and 70 inside. That makes it all worth it.

Dexter- how do you like the Pro Pellets? My local dealer has them for $194 a ton. I was thinking of picking some up.

Pro Pellets are a very good pellet (in my area) We dont have Trumans, Okies, and Barefoots. Only one pellet I have found that is better. So at that price. Snag them up. Somersets can be had here locally at our Menards for a little less..

Good heat, Good ash, and not bad in the fines department either.

Welcome to the forum! I think that 19* weather is moving east toward me according to the weather forecast.

Newbie also...I would take Somerset's over ProPellets any day!! Ive only burned three brands thus far, but Somerset's are by far the best in my stove. Just heard from Dex that a couple of new brands have surfaced, might make a road trip tomorrow to get a few bags of a new pellet.

Somersets are $224 a ton around here, seems like a good price from what I've read. There isn't a lot of variety in my area. I haven't seen barefoot, turman or okies. No inferno's either but I think that's a good thing from what I see here. Lowes sells AWF, Home Depot sells Wood Fibers, Inc, and Menards sells Michigan Wood Pellets. For not much more money I can get the somersets, and I'd rather support the local dealer than the box stores. I did buy a few more bags of AWF when I stopped at Lowes today for a few other things. I couldn't pass up 3.50 a bag.

Welcome to the forum and thank you for being a part of this great place. I am sure you will enjoy it.

I would pay extra for somersets. I had 2 tons of pro-pellets and thought they were awesome and a snagged 4-5 bags of somersets and wow. I can't say I had any complaints with the Pro-pellets... really good amount of heat with low ash. The somersets are just even more heat and less ash yet.

Anyone should be happy with either though.

Here is the pic. I'm not the most net savvy person but I'm hoping the attachment comes up. The power cord isnt hidden like I'd want it - surge suppressor is just outside the picture. Right now its on heat range 3 of 5 eating Somerset pellets and keeping the house almost 50 degrees warmer than it is outside. Myself, the wife, daughter, cat and dog are very comfortable right now. :)

Attachments

• stove4.jpg
    stove4.jpg
    94.8 KB · Views: 157
Welcome pelletash,

Thanks for the picture, Might want to add the stove model to your sig for future reference. We all do it for many reasons, But mostly to just show off! ;-)

Enjoy the stove and stay warm!

I added it to my signature along. So far I am happy with the stove. My oil delivery company wont be as happy but they will get over it. Its going to get a good cleaning tomorrow. I'm on the 11th bag and so far all I've done is empty the ash pan and wipe the glass down. Now i'm starting to think about a stove for the workshop in the garage.

pelletash said:
I added it to my signature along. So far I am happy with the stove. My oil delivery company wont be as happy but they will get over it. Its going to get a good cleaning tomorrow. I'm on the 11th bag and so far all I've done is empty the ash pan and wipe the glass down. Now i'm starting to think about a stove for the workshop in the garage.

Welcome!!
It sure is fun watching the oil delivery truck drive by or stop at a neighbor's house!!
Sounds like you are enjoying the heat!
We are saving money and are more comfortable. Cut oil use by 50%!!
Glad to see another happy pellet user!

Status
Not open for further replies.