Old House/ New Install (help me)

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Lookin' good! Looks like you've got a good 6 feet or more in the room, minus maybe 3 feet effective for the two elbows, so 29 feet total effective height. You may want a key damper, about eye height on that stove pipe, to keep draft dialed down. That much chimney could suck the chrome off a trailer hitch, so to speak.

Reactions: benbirby
Lookin' good! Looks like you've got a good 6 feet or more in the room, minus maybe 3 feet effective for the two elbows, so 29 feet total effective height. You may want a key damper, about eye height on that stove pipe, to keep draft dialed down. That much chimney could suck the chrome off a trailer hitch, so to speak.

I definitely have that in my back pocket as an option. I'm much happier to damper a too-strong draft than to fight a too-weak one!

Reactions: Ashful
Finally got things cleaned up and taking her for a test spin

Thanks everyone for your advice and input!

How long do you think it takes to burn off the new pipe smell?

IMG_20231022_155321_847.jpg IMG_20231022_183256_304.jpg

Reactions: Todd
Finally got things cleaned up and taking her for a test spin

Thanks everyone for your advice and input!

How long do you think it takes to burn off the new pipe smell?

View attachment 317191 View attachment 317192
Each time you hit a new higher temperature, it will let off a little stink. But the first two fires are usually the worst, with it getting much better after that.

Six months from now, you'll forget it and leave it running wide open for 30 minutes. It will let off fresh paint smell again. ;lol

Each time you hit a new higher temperature, it will let off a little stink. But the first two fires are usually the worst, with it getting much better after that.

Six months from now, you'll forget it and leave it running wide open for 30 minutes. It will let off fresh paint smell again. ;lol

I can live with that!
Also obviously ignore the thermometer in that picture- I borrowed it from a friend while I'm waiting for mine in the mail and it doesn't seem to work.

For thermometer, loosen center screw, set needle to zero at room temperature (unless it has a mark for 70F), and re-tighten screw. Unless the spring itself is broken, that should reset it to work properly.

Nice looking install! Keep us posted on how the stove works out.

Nice looking install! Keep us posted on how the stove works out.
Thanks! Gonna do a few open window burns to get the stink out and then we should be cooking! It didn't seem to be drawing too hard but I didn't do a huge fire last night. Damper or no damper will be my main question going forward.

Even very tall chimneys can lack much draft, when outside and inside temperatures converge. I have 30 feet of pipe on one of my stoves, and until heated up, it will show less than 0.005" water column when temperatures outside are in the 50F's. Once the chimney is warmed up, it can pull > 0.10" even in warm weather, and >0.21" in colder weather. Target is 0.05".

Even very tall chimneys can lack much draft, when outside and inside temperatures converge. I have 30 feet of pipe on one of my stoves, and until heated up, it will show less than 0.005" water column when temperatures outside are in the 50F's. Once the chimney is warmed up, it can pull > 0.10" even in warm weather, and >0.21" in colder weather. Target is 0.05".

What I meant to say is that it seems to be drafting just fine and not so crazy as to need a damper. Was easy to light the fire and calmed down nicely when I turned down the air control lever. I'm assuming if I had too strong of a draft it would still burn quite strong when I close it down?

Maybe, but at least in the case of my stoves, they still shut down just fine. What I noticed more was that the things would really rage when running on high during startup/bypass phase, clogging of the secondary burn system (cat combustor), and overall lower net efficiency. In any case, it’s still too warm to bother taking any measurement or making any judgement on this.