Another Newbie question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Gabor129

Sep 26, 2014
Windsor, Ontario, Canada
Hi all!
I know this was answered before, but the live of me I can not find the thread!
I would like to know what everyone use to tape the outside joints on the vent pipe! I know I saw some pictures on tapes, but I can not find it. I found self sealing silicone tape at a local hardware store, and would like to know if it is the type I can use. It did not have any temperature rating on it thought so I think not! But better check.
Anyway, what are some of the tapes that work?!!!?
Thank all!

use foil tape

The only joints that need to be gas tight are inside joints, the area around where the vent exits the thimble on the outside of the house, and the area around the thimble on the the outside of the house where the thimble meets the house.

You use silicone sealant on the last two locations and high temperature foil tape or silicone self sealing tape can be used on the inside joints. All foil tapes or silicone have to meet the temperature requirements listed in the installation manual. Not all venting has to have additional sealants or tape on inside joints. Some venting comes with silicone gaskets as part of each joint.

Most people do not seal vent joints on the outside.

3M makes high temperature foil tape and self sealing silicone tape is available from several places.

Here is one link for 2113NA foil tape (600::F) http://www.acehardware.com/product/index.jsp?productId=1273881

Here is a link for clear silicone sealant (500::F) http://www.amazon.com/Rutland-500-D...ature+silicone+caulk+clear&pebp=1416176551504

Here is a link for clear self fusing clear silicone tape (500::F) http://www.amazon.com/X-Treme-Tape-..._sim_hi_2?ie=UTF8&refRID=1MJYH1T90C3NXNSDHQQ2

Make certain that the temperature requirements are met or exceeded. Consult (read) your instruction manuals.

Reactions: Big papa
Thanks so much!
I found self fusing silicone tape made by VersaChem! States that temp range is -80 to 500 F so I purchased it! When I read the fine print it states that the temp range -80 to 500 F intermittent! Is that still okay to use?

Thanks so much!
I found self fusing silicone tape made by VersaChem! States that temp range is -80 to 500 F so I purchased it! When I read the fine print it states that the temp range -80 to 500 F intermittent! Is that still okay to use?

What does your stove list as needed? It has to meet that minimum, likly that. tape will be fine but I don't know for certain.

Right on the vent pipe it says 212 - 570 F. I can not find anything about exhaust temp in the manual for the stove. Just states that the piping has to be ULC-S609, ULC/ORD-C441, and UL 641 standard! (Which mine is)

Right on the vent pipe it says 212 - 570 F. I can not find anything about exhaust temp in the manual for the stove. Just states that the piping has to be ULC-S609, ULC/ORD-C441, and UL 641 standard! (Which mine is)

What is the stove?

Most say 475 or more for the sealant on the adapter, the exhaust blower will stop at around 475 causing the stove to vacuum fault shutting the fuel feed down, the convection fans are still running cooling the stove off as it heads for total shutdown, this normally means intermittent is fine. The worst case here is smoke dump into the house if you haven't got a good natural draft and not loss of vent seals.

Believe me the information is in the stove's manual somewhere in the installation instructions. The manual may just tell you to use the installation instructions for the vent you are installing but it is there.

There are several RTV sealants you can use and others that go as high as 2000 but they are cements or mortars and not for sealing vent pipes.

As a normal operating condition the vent hardly ever gets more than just to hot to touch (slightly over 120) and this decreases the further away from the stove as you get along the vent run. You choice of sealant should consider the maximum temperature that causes the exhaust blower to fail. Because your first vent joint is going to be on the exhaust blower housing.

The inside vent portion will get hotter but the sealant is placed on the outside area of the vent such that it is inside the other piece of vent pipe when it is installed.

I prefer the black stuff but then my joints that needed sealing are all out of sight. My vent uses internal silicone rubber gaskets and requires no sealant.

The primary smoke leak area is however the clean out cap that gets removed and reset when cleaning the venting, this is a good area for the self fusing silicone tape since it is easy to remove you just cut it across its width and peal it off, then you can put another section of tape on after you put the clean out cap back on.

As you can see the sealant temperature is set for a failure point temperature and not a normal (continuous) operating condition.

Status
Not open for further replies.