Another Pennington Natures Heat whine

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

nailed_nailer

Minister of Fire
Hearth Supporter
Oct 29, 2007
Cape Cod, Ma
I ran my stove all of this last heating season. From October until March. The pellet stove was my primary heat source the entire time. I ended up burning 3 tons of pellets. In March when the price of HHO dropped to a reasonable level i.e $1.89 / gallon I filled my tank and have been burning that ever since. But, the wife kids and I all missed the comfy glow and ambiance that the stove provided in our living room. So while I was at Wal-Mart a few weeks ago I bought 5 bags of the Pennington's to burn just at night while we were watching the magic box.

Man, compared to the other pellets I have burned, these Pennington's are garbage! Even at the $5.75 /bag price they are not worth it. By far the dirtiest fuel I have ever burned in my stove. During this heating season burning Green Supreme or Energex pellets I cleaned the stove about once every 3 days. Usually just to clean the glass to get rid of the gray film that forms and vacuum the air passages and the fire box. On my stove, ash tends to accumulate in the front corners of the firebox outside of the burn pot. After 5 or 6 bags I would have to push the ash through the bottom slats in the firebox and knock them down into the ash pan. With the Pennington pellets I have to do this after about 1/2 a bag. And the glass is really dirty. As dirty as if I had burned about 10 bags.

Last fall when pellets looked like they were going to be hard to find up here on Cape Cod I had entertained the idea of buying 4 tons of the Pennington's from Wally World. I am so glad that I didn't. I don't think these pellets are worth $100/ton never mind the $300.00 they were charging.

Buyer beware.

Whine switch turned back off,
---Nailer---

Nailed, I mentioned in another post a few weeks back that I bought about 5 bags of Pennington pellets cheap from a woman who was getting rid of them (she couldn't figure out how to fix her pellet stove), and they were simply labeled "Pennington" and said "Oak".....they were not labeled "Natures Heat" anywhere on the bags.

The pellets smelled just like a new Oak floor, and I will tell you, they burned the best of any pellet I have tried....even better than my beloved Lignetics hardwood!

I know a lot of people have had issues with the Natures Heat, but if you can find or stumble across the Pennington "Oak" version....grab them, they are a great pellet!

Michael6268 said:
nailed_nailer said:
Even at the $5.75 /bag price they are not worth it.
Whine switch turned back off,
---Nailer---

$5.75 is a bargain???

It is on Cape Cod.
---Nailer---

I really think you bought some leftovers from some warehouse of wal marts from lasr year when they had probs maybe. I bought approx. 20 bags throughout the winter and I didnt have one problem at all. I could go three days without even dropping ash from burn pot into pan...burned well...and hot for me :)

I got mine from sams last summer for 3.88 / bag and yea they are dirty. They heated ok though all winter long. Mine didn't seem to produce as much heat but somehow they didn't seem to get bad mileage either. Who knows, may be they ended up burning slower and longer. Whatever they did the job and I would use them again in my stove which has a big ash pan and I only clean when I feel like it.

I burned half a ton of nature's heat. I had lots of black gritty ash but no klinkers. I burned Lignetics and had huge klinkers build up quick.

Status
Not open for further replies.