Another Poison Ivy Thread

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Poison Ivy provokes an allergic reaction in most people; a few people are not susceptible.
Sort of the opposite of cats - most people are not allergic, but some are.

wendell said:
So, would this be poison ivy?

IMG_2631.jpg

IMG_2632.jpg

It could be, can't be certain without the leaves. Poison Ivy grows as a vine like this or as individual plants.

For skin eruptions, there is now what I consider to be a cure. We have a lot of poison oak here; the next road over is the Poison Oak Trail. I don't suffer, but I bring it in and my wife then gets it, sometimes bad.

Years ago, I saw a "cure" on the internet, Zanfel. It costs $50 plus shipping for two tiny tubes. A gal at my wife's work had a bad case -- open wound on her arm. She had tried various things, so we said we would split the cost and take the 2nd tube. Well, she took delivery and would not give us the 2nd one. Back then, Zanfel advertised it stopped itching in 15 seconds. Apparently there were a few complaints, because it now states it stops itching in 30 seconds. At the time, my wife would have been happy if it stopped in two hours.

It is now cheaper and available locally. You really do not use much. Very highly recommended.

- Bill

Bill_in_CV said:
For skin eruptions, there is now what I consider to be a cure. We have a lot of poison oak here; the next road over is the Poison Oak Trail. I don't suffer, but I bring it in and my wife then gets it, sometimes bad.

Years ago, I saw a "cure" on the internet, Zanfel. It costs $50 plus shipping for two tiny tubes. A gal at my wife's work had a bad case -- open wound on her arm. She had tried various things, so we said we would split the cost and take the 2nd tube. Well, she took delivery and would not give us the 2nd one. Back then, Zanfel advertised it stopped itching in 15 seconds. Apparently there were a few complaints, because it now states it stops itching in 30 seconds. At the time, my wife would have been happy if it stopped in two hours.

It is now cheaper and available locally. You really do not use much. Very highly recommended.

- Bill

While Zanfel does work for some people, for many (including myself!!) it does not work well at all. It's VERY expensive, and others I know have had very mixed results too.

If you want the itching to stop ASAP, take a VERY hot shower (as hot as you can stand) and rub the blistered areas vigorously under the hot water. This brings the histamines to the surface and the itching will stop within 5 minutes or so and will stop itching for several hours--all for free!!

NP

Status
Not open for further replies.