1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

Another Splitter bargain

Post in 'The Gear' started by jotul8e2, Sep 17, 2012.

1. jotul8e2

jotul8e2 Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Ozarks
    I was over at the Grizzly retail outlet today and found they have an in-store special on these: http://www.grizzly.com/products/22-Ton-Hydraulic-Log-Splitter/G0639

$795. In store only.

The problem is, I went in to their "scratch and dent" room to look for a jointer, and there is a good buy on an 8" with 72" bed. Perhaps if I tell my wife they were throwing in a free jointer for every splitter bought at regular price....
    pen likes this.

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. Backwoods Savage

Backwoods Savage Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Michigan
    Doesn't look like it will go vertical. No way I'd buy one that will not do vertical, no matter the sale price.
  3. Nixon

Nixon Minister of Fire

Loc:
    West Sunbury ,Pa.
    Personally , I think that I would pass . There's nothing about that machine that says it would last more than 4-5 years at best .
    It's most likely a Chinese splitter with little or no back up when it fails . Even if it went vertical , it'd come with a cheap knock off milk crate to sit on !
  4. jotul8e2

jotul8e2 Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Ozarks
    Yes, it does vertical and horizontal. I remember looking at these several years ago when they first started carrying them. Given that it carries the Grizzly brand name it is almost certainly Chinese w/B&S engine. It appears identical to one Northern Tool had under their house brand at the time. It also appears to be the same as the Steele SP-LS22; in which case Sears has parts. I do know a guy who has had one for four years and he says it has been great. With even used Troy-builts being snapped up around here at $800 I must say I am strongly tempted.

Frankly, my bigger problem is the same as always - do I want another gas motor sitting around 11 1/2 months a year just to split 2 1/2 to three cords of firewood? I doubt that I spend more than 15 hours a year splitting by hand now.
  5. pen

pen There are some who call me...mod. Staff Member

Loc:
    N.E. Penna
    I like your original plan for feeding this scheme to the lady, but I agree about the lack of use issue and it being worth it.

I'm shopping for one, but I'm looking for the perfect used one at a killer price. Might take me 1 month, or 7 years to find it, but I'm not buying unless it's spot on and under priced.

I split one heck of a lot more than 15 hours a year, and will not give up the majority of that as I need the exercise, however, I see some good wood that would otherwise be a PIA being thrown over the bank by some good buddies of mine that having a splitter would be perfect for.

pen