1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

Another Storm System

Post in 'The Inglenook' started by thewoodlands, Dec 17, 2012.

1. WellSeasoned

WellSeasoned Guest

Been pouring all night, we have a flood warning in our area, winds gusting to around 40mph, temperature when I went to bed around 930- 30°F, wake up temp this morning 530 am- 50°F :confused: Possible light snow tonight, saturday, flurries on Christmas

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. thewoodlands

thewoodlands Minister of Fire

Rain / Sleet are falling at the moment. We had 2-3 days of rain last week so it was a mess. The colder weather moved in with some snow an all of a sudden the old pines looked great, I think with this system we might get three inches of snow.

A new system is hitting the west coast so we'll see what it brings the rest of the country.

The driveway will be like a skating rink once it drops below freezing, looks like some sand and ashes will go on this afternoon.

Attached Files:

3. northwinds

northwinds Minister of Fire

Loc:
    south central WI
    13 degrees now. The snow did turn light and fluffy, so there's some good drifting on top of the heavy stuff. We ended up with the lucky draw
    of having the heaviest snowfall in WI from this storm.

Attached Files:

• 4.jpg
      4.jpg
      File size:
      78.1 KB
      Views:
  4. woodgeek

woodgeek Minister of Fire

Loc:
    SE PA
    We just got 2" of rain in an hour...and lost power for all of that from a spike of strong gusts. Nice straight and narrow line of heavy activity on the radar. And then breaks of blue sky and power back on shortly thereafter.
  5. Waulie

Waulie Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Nothern Lower Michigan
    Survived yet another death storm. I love how scary they make each one sound. Wasn't too terrible. We got about 12 inches of really heavy wet snow and some pretty strong wind today. If we hadn't gotten that crazy storm last March it would be a real mess with trees and limbs coming down over all over the place but I think the weak stuff was mostly weeded out. From what I seen so far, I only lost one ash in my woods which was already dead like the rest of them.

I agree with AC, I would much rather have snow (even this crap) then a bunch of rain this time of year. Now that it's supposed to get colder, I think we'll start getting some nice lake effect snow. Lake Michigan is still pretty warm. I really want to ground to freeze. Plowing snow over mushy earth is not that cool.
  6. eclecticcottage

eclecticcottage Minister of Fire

Loc:
    WNY
    Windy here now, gusts have registered up to 35 and holding steady about 25. Rained and rained, don't think it's raining right now.
  7. eclecticcottage

eclecticcottage Minister of Fire

Loc:
    WNY
    Gusts maxed @ 50 and held regularly around 35 through the night. No snow, sunny now. 36 degrees and wind speed as I type is 15. Stove was absolutely devouring the wood last night, drafting WELL.
    zap likes this.
  8. WellSeasoned

WellSeasoned Guest

Plenty more storm coming. Light to moderate snow coming Mon night into Christmas morning, and a large system expected later Thursday that could dump a shat load here in pa. Can I finally go snowshoeing?:)
    Thistle, ScotO and zap like this.
  9. thewoodlands

Oh ya, we might do that tomorrow.
    WellSeasoned and ScotO like this.
  10. ScotO

ScotO Guest

BRING IT ON!!
    zap and WellSeasoned like this.
  11. ScotO

ScotO Guest

We HAD around 2-3" on the ground, but the wind drove most of it into drifts throughout the area. Kids were playing in the drifts all day, despite the strong winds.

I love the snow, hoping we get HAMMERED sometime soon. It's gonna be nice to finally load the stove up and open the draft a bit. I miss the REALLY cold weather!!
  12. thewoodlands

The magic words I used were, PLEASE SEND SNOW, you gotta say please S.O.
    ScotO likes this.
  13. ScotO

ScotO Guest

Pretty PRETTY PLEASE, WITH CHRISTMAS COOKIES ON TOP!!
  14. thewoodlands

In about three days your wish will be granted by a Genie named Sav!
    amateur cutter and tfdchief like this.