Another tree ID please

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Rob_Red

Feeling the Heat
Feb 2, 2021
Southern New England
What do you think? The leaves are almost as big as my hand. They turn bright yellow in the fall.

97994340-94FC-48E1-8DC8-770C5E9CE17F.jpeg 0DB33A20-9653-472A-8E0B-BA9BCC224FF2.jpeg

Looks like hickory leaves to me.
Now let the experts tell us which variety...

On second inspection this tree has shed some nuts and the squirrels got 99% of them. It a young tree so not that many.

Pretty sure it is a hickory which is pretty cool as it’s the only in of the property. Any ideas on what type?

Reactions: stoveliker
I am no hickory expert, but I do enjoy identifying trees. Looks like it could be mockernut or bitternut hickory from the bark. I pretty much only see shagbark in my area.
This might be helpful:

I am no hickory expert, but I do enjoy identifying trees. Looks like it could be mockernut or bitternut hickory from the bark. I pretty much only see shagbark in my area.
This might be helpful:
Awesome article thanks!

It's a pretty young tree maybe 7 inches wide at the trunk. I wonder how long its takes a shagbark to start to get shaggy? Or is it that way early on?

That under-bark looks almost orange in the pic. I don't recall seeing that on the Pignut or Shagbark here. Then again, there's a LOT of things I don't recall. ;)

From the bark I'm also saying pignut hickory.

Reactions: Rob_Red
How does it burn?
I haven't burned a lot of it so far, and loads have been mixed with other wood species. I'm usually grabbing the Red Oaks, which die here much more often. I have a couple cords of Pignut that I'll be getting into this year, though.
Hickory is rated as high-output wood, around 27Mbtu/cord. Like other dense woods, it's a bit harder to light. I usually put some big splits of any dense wood on the bottom of the load, and use a top-down start with a few small splits and kindling of a faster-starting wood on top..soft Maple, Pine, etc.
That will kick the load off fast, heat up the top re-burn section of the stove quickly, and result in a start that's in most cases far less smoky.

How does it burn?
Hickory burns very hot, and long. But it doesn't kindle easily, so I never put it in the fire the first 15 minutes. It also burns purty, when combined with oak, especially oak, cherry, and hickory.

Reactions: Grizzerbear